Bone Strengthening Treatment

• 16 replies
  • 137 subscribers

Hi All,

We are now 2 months post diagnosis and it has been a dizzying round of appointments and tests. I have updated my profile to show my husbands diagnosis and so far he has had hormone injections and a session of radiotherapy to target the worst mets in his thigh and pelvis which cause the most pain. He starts chemo on Wednesday next week.

Can I please ask if anyone has had or been offered bone strengthening treatment on the NHS and if so, did you find it helped? We have been told that this is no longer part of the NHS protocol to be offered but not sure if this is just in our case or across the board.

We have booked to see a private oncologist in a weeks time through our medical insurance for a second opinion and to see if this might be available privately. However, I'm interested to hear anyone else's experience of this and if it helped.

Many thanks.

• Hello  

No treatment for me - but I have been prescribed Calcium and Vitamin D tablets to prevent bone thinning and have been on thees for 2 years.

Best wishes for the chemotherapy next week - We do have a Chemotherapy form you can join and here's the link

Chemotherapy forum 

Just click on the link and it will take you there.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi .

I can't answer for the availability on the NHS except to say that the NICE guidelines were issued in 2012 sort of recommending it for prostate cancer with bone mets under certain conditions and I haven't found an update since then. I have also found a NHS 2024 health authority which still recommends it.

We live in Greece and hubby was put onto Xgeva 3 years ago after a fall. His meds were reviewed last month and told to continue with it even though he doesn't have bone mets.

• Thank you, that’s really helpful.

Sorry to ask another question but we are really new to all this! The oncologist has told us that all meds should be prescribed by our GP surgery but the GP won’t prescribe anything unless told by the oncologist and trying to get information from one to the other is proving difficult. Does this seem to be the normal way of getting the meds needed? We have asked for calcium and vitamin D but the GP won’t prescribe them.

• Thank you! We will ask the question again. I guess it may just be on a case by case basis and whether in their opinion it’s necessary, however nice to know it looks like it should be available. 

• PCUK have a good fact sheet.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/bisphosphonates#:~:text=If%20prostate%20cancer%20spreads%20to,has%20spread%20to%20the%20bones.

I don't know where you live but it does say that there could be a problem with getting it prescribed in Scotland.

All the best for Chemotherapy next week and can I recommend taking his temperature twice a day to check for infection. If you need any information then ask away.

• Thank you for the tip about the chemo: have purchased a new ear thermometer to keep an eye on things! x

• Hi MamaS, I am on calcium-D 1000mg and Alendronic  acid 70mg to strengthen and repair fractures to my bones, prescribed by oncologist, and prescription was renewed 6 weeks ago, and I know a few others on the LWIC forum are on the same meds. take care.

Eddie

• Hi MamaS.

Welcome it's great to meet you this evening sorry that is under these circumstances but "hey ho"

My Terminal Cancer has also spread to my bones as well unfortunately. My consultant has put me on two calcium tablets 1 twice a day and the other one once a week which is supposed to help with my bones??

I do hope that everything goes ok with your private appointment it will be good to get a second opinion.

Please please let us know how things go???

Prostate Worrier.

• Hello  

I notice  has answered this question.

I live in England, my GP prescribes anything oncology request so I have no problems.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi

Your GP is correct - the hospital needs to instruct the GP to prescribe the VitD + Calcium. As he is on RT my understanding is that he should be given to offset the potential bone damage.

My GP missed the instruction for 2 years!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!