Bone Strengthening Treatment

• 16 replies
  • 138 subscribers

Hi All,

We are now 2 months post diagnosis and it has been a dizzying round of appointments and tests. I have updated my profile to show my husbands diagnosis and so far he has had hormone injections and a session of radiotherapy to target the worst mets in his thigh and pelvis which cause the most pain. He starts chemo on Wednesday next week.

Can I please ask if anyone has had or been offered bone strengthening treatment on the NHS and if so, did you find it helped? We have been told that this is no longer part of the NHS protocol to be offered but not sure if this is just in our case or across the board.

We have booked to see a private oncologist in a weeks time through our medical insurance for a second opinion and to see if this might be available privately. However, I'm interested to hear anyone else's experience of this and if it helped.

Many thanks.

• Thank you Stuart: just what we thought!

He has chemo tomorrow so is going to drop in to see the oncology team to ask the question and hopefully get something sent through to the GP.

• Hi

I've just checked on Google, and it looks like you can get VitD+Calcium without prescription. So, if you are having problems, that may be a solution - if you can confirm the dosage.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Thank you for taking the time and trouble to look: it really is very much appreciated.

• Hello MamaS,

I was diagnosed in March 2020 with Stage 4 PC two weeks before the first lockdown. I was prescribed Alendronic Acid  70mg taken same day, once a week and Adcal-D3 1.5g calcium carbonate & colecalciferol chewable tablets twice a day ( morning & evening ) by the hospital pharmacy in May 2022. Still taking them today with no ill effects. I hope you get things sorted out.

Take care, Tom

• Thank you for your reply Tom, it’s really appreciated.

• This also happened to us. And we had problems getting the first LHRH injection as one of the inexperienced GP’s wouldn’t complete the prescription re the health authority guidelines making it extremely stressful and unnecessary.