Hello

• 15 replies
  • 127 subscribers

I can't believe it is exactly one year since husband was diagnosed and we were waiting for more tests to decide the treatment path. One year on husband is doing so well. He has completed 6 sessions of chemo, with very few side effects, just a slight metallic taste for a few days after each session. He continues to be on 3 monthly hormone injections but we are looking to switch to every 6 months. Has anyone else done this? He also takes his daily chemo tablets. Life is good we have been on 2 cruises so far far with a few more booked so lots to look forward to. What I am trying to say is that for anyone newly diagnosed then life can still be good, even though this time last year I didn't believe it, I never ever thought I would feel happy again. My waking thoughts in the middle of the night was prostrate cancer and stayed with me throughout the day. As soon as husband knew what we were dealing with and the treatment path was things felt more positive. Tomorrow he has another PSA blood test and I must admit I am feeling anxious but as the oncologist says there are plenty of other treatments waiting in the wings if needed. Better go and start that washing and get packing for the next holiday. Got to make good use of that travel insurance as it cost an arm and a leg 

• Hi Shar - fingers crossed with the PSA result. Just had my husband’s result 0.06. It was 0.07 last time so stable . Lowest was immediately after radiotherapy - 0.03. Oncology review tomorrow - hoping we can stop HT as side effects combined with other health issues (and horrible weather!) have combined to make April a very dire month - him for health reason and me for anxiety!

Have a great holiday!

• Hi Shar

Well what can I say?  I remember clearly you coming onto the forum dare I say it - like a rabbit in the car headlights. Question followed question but once you had the diagnosis, sorted the oncologist out and a treatment plan sorted - everything settled down.

It's great to read your one year on post and it goes to show that with a PSA of almost 60 things can get better.

Enjoy life - you deserve it with what you have been through. SunglassesCruise shipSunglasses.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  

Good luck tomorrow. I do hope he's done with HT - for both of you.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks, Brian - will let you know. It’s a double - edged sword, really. We have the comfort of knowing the PSA is low because of the HT but with the side effect versus no ht , no side effects but the fear of recurrence!

• Hi Shar,

What a wonderful 1 year review which is full of positive vibes & will hopefully re-assure anyone who is going through a similar journey.  Fingers crossed for a great PSA result tomorrow & long may your cruises continue.

Have a great holiday Cruise ship

• Hi there- really pleased all has gone well for you both. We too were in the same position a year ago. Chemo & RT completed now and HT for life ( Gleason 9) & oligometastatic Ca but we are both here too. Like you- lots of tears, fears, doubts, questions. It’s still sleeping I know but pray for us all like you that things go well. Enjoy your cruises & holidays. We are off to Madeira - our happy place later in the year and cruising with friends in a few months. Well done lovely. Big hugs xx 

• All the best for the PSA test tomorrow and let us know the results.

Where are your travels taking you next?

• Our next holiday is 3 weeks in Cyprus in July and then a cruise in October for 3 weeks down to the Greek islands. 

• Could you tell me which company you book your insurance with please?