Zoladex

• 14 replies
  • 123 subscribers

Hi to All

I have been on Zoladex since 2019 and apart from mood swings all is not too bad.I was told that Hormone/Zoladex treatment can be stopped after five years.Has anyone else heard this?

Derek.82 this year

• Hi  Derek,  That is a good question but does depend on your original diagnosis.  Do you know your Gleason score and Staging (I was G9 T3b N1 M0 for example) and have been on Zoladex since 2017 and will be on it for life. Best wishes. David

• Hi Derek,

I've been on Zoladex jabs since 220 and am on them for life. Like you say, I too get tearful and emotional now and againbut  I've not heard of stopping them after five years. As long as the jabs keep the cancer at bay I'll continue with them. I was Gleason 9 T2 Mo No. Stay positive and best wishes

• BAS (80 this year)
  • Hello  Derek - A warm welcome to the online Prostate Community.

Yes, you are correct, I have indeed come across this where people on HT for life (I was almost in that club!!) have had a "holiday" from the HT with regular PSA tests. As long as the PSA remained low the HT was off. I think there were other medical reasons for the break but I can't honestly remember. It's worth bringing it up with your team.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• David Thank you for your reply. I was never given a Gleason Score/Number.Do they find the number of Gleason from a Blood test? or is it not taken sometimes.Or could it be because they did not think it nesessary.Do they take always take a Gleason Score.?

Derek

• Derek, the Gleason score would normally be given after your biopsy. It indicates the spread of PCa and aggressive nature.  David

• David I never had any Biopsy.Perhaps they did not think it was serious enough.(fingers Crosed)

• That sounds quite likely.  How was your cancer identified?  Do you know your PSA at the start and since?  David

• David.I was first told by my Doctor that P.S.A was 112.After two months on Bicalutamide it went down to 0.14.After two years it was 4.91,which is still normal.Iam due a psa test soon so hoping it is still ok.After the first two months on the tablets till now I have been on Zoladex.

Derek

• Hi Derek,

My partner is on HT for life, but we have been looking into having a break after a couple of years if possible. it's called Intermittent HT where you take a rest and the blood tests/scans are monitored to see how stable you are. When things go up again you restart. Our consultant isn't that keen, but how can you possibly know where you are if you don't come off medication for a bit and see. 5 years is a long time and there''s so much more going on treatment wise, also at 82 things must of changed for you like your testosterone would naturally be lower? The good thing is that you don't seem to have bad side effects from the Zoladex, but it would be nice to be free of the medication. You could have that chat with your consultant about being monitored with regular bloods and scans which would be reassuring if you do stop completely..

Best wishes

LSlight smile 

• BarryW.

Thank you for reply your information is very reassuring especially the testosterone being lower at my age.I have not see my Consulttant since I was first diagnosed in 2019.I prusume at first it was because of Covid in2020.Each year I have to ask for a P.S.A test I would have thought it was normal procedure.Doctor,s and Consultant do not seem to follow ones progress like they used too.

Best Wishes Derek