Diagnosis of both bladder and prostate cancer

• 30 replies
  • 127 subscribers

I have been diagnosed with both bladder and prostate cancer. I have been offered two treatment options: removal of both bladder and prostrate and replacement with a stoma or separate treatment of the bladder with BCG followed by radiotherapy and hormone treatment for the prostate. Has anyone gone down the route of separate treatment of the two cancers? If so, what were the side effects and after effects? Many thanks.

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Prostate Community. I am so sorry to find you here but it's the place for help and advice.

I might be wrong but I can't think of any Community member on our forum with that diagnosis. (apologies if I have missed someone!).

I can fully understand your thinking with the separate treatment of the two cancers and I am on the Hormone Therapy journey myself. I am 2 years into a 3 year journey starting off with a Gleason 9 and Initial PSA of 182. Yes there are side effects, fatigue and ED being the hardest to overcome but there are others. You can read my journey by clicking on my avatar.

i am aware you have received a couple of replies on the bladder cancer forum - that's a good start.

To help us help you can I ask you to add your Prostate Cancer diagnosis (Gleason Score TNM staging) to your profile. To do this on your home page, go to the chair in the top right, then "profile" and then "edit".

Feel free to ask any questions.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Millibob, This is the first time I have been on an online community. I am deeply grateful for the replies I have had. I will take your advice on actually filling in my profile. I believe my Gleason score was 7. My PSA was 5.3 which lulled me into a false sense of security. The treatment options which I got yesterday came out of the blue. The doctor said removal of the bladder and prostate was the best option. One of the things I have to get my head around is having a Stoma fitted. I hope all goes well for you and thank you for getting in touch. It is greatly appreciated.

• Wishing all the best. Someone in my neighbourhood had 2 lots of Cancer whoes wife told me he had bowel remove and got Storma and got part of his  pancreas removed and delighted to say he is doing great and all postive news

• That's encouraging. Many thanks.

• Hello   We are all with you here whichever route you take. Our Community is amazing with a wealth of knowledge and whatever you want to know please just ask - you will get a fair amount of information back.

Keep us posted and my best wishes. - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello Otley.

A warm welcome to the prostate group. I have attached a link to a Macmillan discussion group who might be able to help you with some questions on the stoma so that you can then make an informed decision. Once you have updated your profile then this group can help you with more targeted information on treatment and likely range of side effects which you can then add in for the decision making process. 

Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support 

• Hi Alwayshope, Great name. I have updated my profile. I will follow the link you sent. I am very grateful. All the best. 

• Hi Otley.

I have just checked out your profile and was wondering if you have been given a TNM ( tumour , node, metastasis) and Grade Group. This information would normally be given after a prostate biopsy and gives an indication of exactly where the cancer is, whether it is contained, and whether there is spread to lymph nodes or bones, along with how aggressive it can be. It is usually this information which dictates how long you would likely be on hormone therapy and the type of radiotherapy you are likely to be offered. Also, with your Gleason score do you know if it is 3 + 4 or 4 + 3?

On the stoma issue, I don't know if you have watched the latest series of 'Dancing on Ice' but there is a lady competing who has been treated for bowel cancer and has a stoma. She is a good advocate for living with one and not stopping her from doing challenging things.

One thing that we have all learnt is to try and stay positive and, of course, always hope.

• Hi Otley and welcome i too have prostate cancer and metastatic bladder cancer and have been on HT for 20 months and had 20 lots of aggressive RT but no surgery, If  you mean 2 unrelated cancers i can't help, take care.

eddie

• Hi Alwayshope, I will check my Gleason score. I understand the cancer is contained within the prostate. It does seem folk get on with life despite the stoma. Thanks for pointing out the lady on Dancing on Ice though I won't be joining her on the ice! I got the treatment options yesterday which was a bit of a shock. Today has been something of a downer but this online community has certainly raised my spirits. I do feel I am in good hands with the team treating me at Jimmy's so I am, deep down, pretty positive. Many thanks for your perspective.