Delay in getting HT injection?

• 32 replies
  • 137 subscribers

HI all,

So, I was due to have my first 3 month Prostap injection at 10:40 today and just got a text telling me off for not attending the Drs. ;-(

Except I've asked via email several times why the prescription was sitting 'Unsigned' on my Drs Web portal and not been given an explanation as to why it isn't.

They didn't have time to listen to the phone message I left at 8 this morning or read the eMessage I sent at 9 ... or the several 'Contact us' messages I have sent previously. ;-(

So I sat on hold for 25 mins at 11 and spoke to someone who wasn't able to answer my question of 'why' it hadn't been signed but said she will remove my first '3 strikes and you are out' flag, will put the script out for the Dr to sign later today / tomorrow and has made me another appointment for the 4th of Dec?

Boots don't hold stock of Prostap and can't order it in advance without the script because of the cost (£225 or so I think I looked up), so I have to get the script from the Dr and back to boots before anything will happen.

I would have been more on top of this if I hadn't been driving people about and attending my Mum who has just been rushed into a hospital an hour away with a stroke.

Much of the visit is (me / us gently) keeping on top of the staff doing what is needed and they have promised (like replacing broken kit, after downloading the service manual, diagnosing the cause of the fault myself because they just keep pressing the alarm reset button, not fixing the issue ...)  because they are so strung out themselves ...

Sorry for unloading that ... so will I be put to any greater risk of my PC if this HT injection happens a week later than planned?

• Hi Scamp - I see you’re an early riser too Joy 

• the GP surgery assumed the hospital had given me it, with the surgery providing all later ones.

Another early riser, although this seems more common these days with everything that is on my mind. ;-(

Whilst it doesn't seem from the respondents to my Q so far that there really is any fixed plan, what your surgery assumed is what happened in my case, with the hospital giving me my the first (1 month / reaction test) jab (and a script for the anti-flare-up (?) Bicalutamide tablets) and instruction to the Drs to prescribe and administer the 3 month jabs thereafter, with me collecting the drugs from the chemist as usual?

• Best part of the day!Wink

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Able

I have seen the letter from Poole Hospital instructing my GP to administer 3 monthly Prostap injections ( I asked to be copied in on all correspondence as I'm a cynical b*****d and expect things to go wrong. Despite my efforts they did but that's another story!). So after my first one - which was a bit of a problem- as the instruction was with the GP all I did was turn up when I was told. Don't really understand why they are expecting you to ensure you have the scrip. Might be missing something but.....

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi  Yes:

* Dr issues prescription to chemist (after you ask him to!). Dr arranges your injection (after you ask for appointment!).

* You collect expensive box of medication from chemist.

* You turn up at G P's surgery for above mentioned injection - don't forget expensive box of medication !!

You leave the Doctors surgery feeling more fatigued and like a woman for the next 3 months!!

Simples!! 

And life goes on - more slowly.............

Best wishes - Brian,RoflRofl.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Morning Stuart

Well that's the deal with my "Shared Agreement" between the hospital and GP surgery - just as described in my post above.

And yes - I too have a copy of aforementioned shared agreement. Apart from jab number 4 I have had to get the prescription and arrange for the jab!

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

• Hi Brian

Isn't it interesting how different NHS Trusts handle the same process!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Able, you certainly seem to have a lot on your plate at the moment. Please remember to look after yourself! One of the hard lessons I have had to learn is that you can only look after others if you are in good shape!

hope you get your injections and your mum sorted!

• Hi Stuart - Not half.

I am under 3 NHS trusts with Urology, Oncology and Radiotherapy so that's Manchester University Trust, Northern Care Alliance and Christies NHS Trust, not to mention my GP Practice.

Manchester University Trust use a cracking App called "My Chart"  (other trusts use this too) and there's the NHS App too. I had bloods done at Manchester and my GP wanted a set so I just gave them access to My Chart.

National Health Service - someone should look up the word "National"

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• i've been on zoladex for nearly 5 years now 

never had to do anything other than turn up for my injection , we then book the next one in 3 months time 

all taken care of by the nurse