Delay in getting HT injection?

• 32 replies
  • 137 subscribers

HI all,

So, I was due to have my first 3 month Prostap injection at 10:40 today and just got a text telling me off for not attending the Drs. ;-(

Except I've asked via email several times why the prescription was sitting 'Unsigned' on my Drs Web portal and not been given an explanation as to why it isn't.

They didn't have time to listen to the phone message I left at 8 this morning or read the eMessage I sent at 9 ... or the several 'Contact us' messages I have sent previously. ;-(

So I sat on hold for 25 mins at 11 and spoke to someone who wasn't able to answer my question of 'why' it hadn't been signed but said she will remove my first '3 strikes and you are out' flag, will put the script out for the Dr to sign later today / tomorrow and has made me another appointment for the 4th of Dec?

Boots don't hold stock of Prostap and can't order it in advance without the script because of the cost (£225 or so I think I looked up), so I have to get the script from the Dr and back to boots before anything will happen.

I would have been more on top of this if I hadn't been driving people about and attending my Mum who has just been rushed into a hospital an hour away with a stroke.

Much of the visit is (me / us gently) keeping on top of the staff doing what is needed and they have promised (like replacing broken kit, after downloading the service manual, diagnosing the cause of the fault myself because they just keep pressing the alarm reset button, not fixing the issue ...)  because they are so strung out themselves ...

Sorry for unloading that ... so will I be put to any greater risk of my PC if this HT injection happens a week later than planned?

• Hello  

No you will be fine - the hormone treatment is there to suppress your testosterone - you have already had a month's worth so I assume you are aware it's working  - the first side effect is erectile dysfunction.  The general understanding is that once you are on HT it takes as long to get out of your system as your last injection so as that lasts for a month - it will take a further month to get out of your system if you don't have another dose.

As for GP practices - I had to have words with my practice manager as it looks like I am the only patient with Prostate Cancer/Hormone Therapy/Type 2 diabetes and there's a clash of medication - it's sorted now!

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• No you will be fine

Thanks Brian. ;-)

I managed to get my script signed (actioned by the practice manager) and into Boots yesterday so I'm waiting on a text from them (hopefully) today. I was wondering if it was worth popping into my local Hospital that seems to be the centre for dealing with me (and where I had my biopsy etc) and just seeing if anyone can give me the jab?

the first side effect is erectile dysfunction

Hmm, that's a strange one as I think my libido is on the floor so that's not something I've even tested! (very uncharacteristic for me / us) <blush>. ;-)

Glad you have your meds balanced.

• Hello  

if anyone can give me the jab?

I think you need to get some sort of arrangement set up with the G P's as you will be in there every 3 months. As I said mine is a "shared agreement" between urology and the GP. 3 weeks before my jab I call in, sort the prescription out, book my jab, I then collect my medication and call in at the appointed date and the nurse deals with it.

It works for me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• That was supposed to be the plan here.

Given prescription for a months tablets, the first (3ml) actual jab and paperwork by the hospital and a copy of the paperwork to drop in at the Drs.

Took script to Boots, collected same day, started tablets.

Made appointment with the Dr to have the 1st jab administered as near the ideal date suggested. Turned up with first jab as arranged, had it administered.

A week before the 1st 3 monthly jab, I contacted the Drs and made an appointment for the 27th (one month after first jab). I could then request the script for the jab on the ePortal and saw a couple of days later it was 'Awaiting signature'. Kept checking, sent emails questioning the situation, got nearer the app day (but sidetracked visiting Mum in hospital with her stroke) it came to the jab day and still not released. Phone at 8 to inform them of the situation and left message on AM. Emailed at 9 to cover the answering machine. Got txt from them saying I'd missed my app.

Rang to explain in person (on hold for 25 mins), told script would be ready that evening. Was going out at 3 so popped in and script not available.

Went back at 12 the next day, script still not available (not even found, let alone not signed), Manager happened to be there and sorted it. Took script straight to Boots, they ordered for today. They sent me a text today saying it was ready but after I was on my way to visit Mum again. Got back at 9 this evening.

I might go and collect the jab tomorrow morning and take it over to my urology hosp and just see if anyone can administer it for me? It can't be that difficult can it and at least they know my situation and it same me having to wait till Monday afternoon ...

• No, I feel sure that a week will not matter.

I haven’t read all the replies, Able, but I share your frustration. When the admin goes wrong, it sometimes feels like the last straw. I had the same sort of hassle. I was told by the hospital to order a prescription for Prostap every three months, which I did. As you say, the pharmacies do not keep a stock. I had to make sure it was ordered in time for me to collect it and take it to the GP practice on the day of the appointment (which the system would not allow me to make until two weeks in advance). 

This became difficult and stressful each time. It did not help that our local pharmacist one time did not place the order. He made a fuss, in front of everyone in the shop about it costing £225 and not wanting to be stuck with it if it wasn’t required etc. etc,

I spoke to the Practice Nurse and she offered to automatically order it and have it delivered to the practice each time. All I had to do was turn up. It worked well. 

I have now had my last injection and I am waiting for all the side effects to subside.

This is a bit off topic but I have learned over the past couple of years is that you can’t always be retiring (as I tend to be). If something seems not quire right with the admin, you do have to challenge it. The clinical care, for me, has been great but the admin can be trying - chasing appointments, seeking clarification etc.

All very best wishes

• My husband was initially given a letter by the prostate cancer nurse at the hospital to take to our surgery. He has decapeptyl every three months. He rings the surgery about 3 weeks before the injection is due for an appointment. They sort out the supply of the drug and all he has to do is turn up for the jab! It’s amazingly efficient!

however, I couldn’t agree more about the lackadaisical approach by admin in some departments within the NHS.. what puzzles me is why the same hospital Trust can have some specialities ( for us, oncology) which are operating at fantastic efficiency and others ( for us, urology and opthalmology) which are pretty dire.   

yes, you really do have to challenge but when there is so much to worry about and so many appointments to attend, adding poor admin into the equation is absolutely exhausting.

• Good Morning  

That last paragraph sums it up in a nutshell. I have had to take my GP's practice manager to task but now we are singing off the same hymn sheet everything is running like clockwork.

Best wishes for your new "life after hormones".

Brian.

Community Champion badge

• I spoke to the Practice Nurse and she offered to automatically order it and have it delivered to the practice each time. All I had to do was turn up. It worked well. 

I'll run that past them but I'm not hopeful ...

The clinical care, for me, has been great

Agreed, as has mine (so far anyway) but I now know very well about keeping your eye on stuff and speaking up.

Mum (after her stroke) has a pair of those inflating cuffs fitted to her legs but the machine would run then stop. We saw this over at least two visits. We mentioned it to any of the nurses attending her and all they did was hit the reset button, only for it to stop again a while later. I downloaded the user manual, learned how it should work, diagnosed where the fault was (by substitution / swapping stuff) then stood my ground till one of them took notice and replaced the leaking cuff.

Yesterday I noticed her nebulizer didn't seem to be as 'active' as it was previously and I politely questioned it. The nurse opened and closed the pump, it looked it it could be a tiny bit better but 5 mins later it was still obvious to me that it still wasn't working properly. So I pushed again and she then actually started swapping stuff till it was obvious it was then working as it should.

But what would have happened if I had not been there, noticed and pushed for a solution, ignoring the fact that Mum had suffered the mask on her face for 20 mins with it being uncomfortable but doing nothing?

I'm not blaming the nurses themselves as it's obvious they are overloaded and I don't like to be that noisy wheel that gets the most grease.

• but when there is so much to worry about and so many appointments to attend, adding poor admin into the equation is absolutely exhausting.

Quite ... and especially when on top of being a carer for your wife and running family around to visit / oversee Mum when she's laying hooked up with all sorts of wires and pipes in a hospital an hour away after having a stroke. ;-(

We left home at 2 and got back just before 10 tonight, another day I didn't manage to collect my HT injection ('of course' the pharmacy was closed for lunch when I was able to pick it up before being out for the rest of the day ...).

But hey, we could be being bombed ...

• Hi Brian

Good plan checking with your GP before turning up for your jab. When I turned up for my first one, the GP surgery assumed the hospital had given me it, with the surgery providing all later ones. Thenurse had to use someone else's who was due to have one later in the week. Put the Willie's up me I can tell you!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!