Stamped radiotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 119 subscribers

Hi everyone and anyone who has had stampede radiotherapy for stage 4 prostate cancer xx hope every one is doing ok please God Xx Thursday my husband has his first session. Needs apparently to have comfortable full bladder and empty bowel. Bowel been no problem but his bloody bladder!!! His been instructed and is so doing what his told for over a month now. His drinking 3 and half liters of water spread over the day. BUT 3 trips to guys for bladder scan and they have not been able to do his presentation/marker scan because his bladder has been to empty. 4th visit he drank soooo much more than 3 liters and stilllll not enough water in him. So they topped him up even more and got that scan done. As he refused to go home lol. Every session every day his bladders got to have right amount of water in it to do the radiotherapy. I'm worried what happens on his appointment days if still not enough? Will they send him home, or top him up mucking up there appointment system? Just worried as I presume once u start radiotherapy daily you carnt miss any?? Does anyone know if they will still do radio that day? Or send him home. Has anyone else had this problem? . I'm sure his constant hot flushes lose him the water plus his natural dehydration. Also sorry rattling on. When did your side effects start? And were they bad or mild?? Be so great full for any feed back Thanku x

• Hi,

Welcome to the club that nobody wanted to join but glad they did. 
    I’m about to start my 5th week of 7 & a half weeks of radiotherapy. 
    So far there’s only been about 5 days when I’ve been spot on with the amount of water that I’ve drank. 
    The minimum they require in my bladder is 298ml of water to proceed. I’ve actually had one day with too much water in it & they gave me one of those lovely bottles to pee into & said get rid of a cup full. That’s not as easy as it sounds.

I’m at the North Middlesex Hospital and they have 3 True Beam machines, occasionally ones out of action for service but most of the time things are good. 

Getting back to your question there’s a lot of people in the same situation so all they do is move down the list for people waiting. They will then slot you in when ready.

One of the radiographer’s said to me the other day are you busting it yet? If not you’re not ready yet. Another way to tell is if you get up and start moving around for no reason, they call it the waterworks shuffle.

One thing I do know is that you head straight for the toilet afterwards, I always stay another 30 minutes because you will want to go again.

Feel free to look at my journey so far on my profile.

I hope that this helps 

Tyler

• God thsnkyouuuu so much. I was worried they would send him home. Thanku I feel soo much more better now xx

• Don’t worry. I was always being sent out to drink more water and to come back. They don’t forget you and often stay late. They deal with all sorts of problems from too much gas to constipation and diarrhea. They never let me down. 

• Mrs need help. 

When I went for my  RT set up i didn't have a full bladder and had to go out drink some more then wait 20mins and it was fine after that. I never started drinking a lot before but had a bottle I took with me and  because I wasn't full at the set up I was instructed to drink 750mm of water and finish it 30 min before treatment. For some it was 500mm and 20 min before treatment and i sailed through with no problems.

Best of luck with the treatment.  Kind regards Reg