Gleason score and survival rates

• 13 replies
  • 123 subscribers

I’m just trying to understand more about Gleason score. I have read the literature from Prostate Cancer Uk, but just want to confirm my understanding that a Gleason score of 7 (4+3) indicates a medium growth rate. Also in regards to survival rate for someone with Advanced stage 4 Prostate Cancer with multiple metastasis, some information indicates that the five year survival rate is low, but other sources indicate that men can live for many years with stage 4. I have stopped reading about it as there is so much confusing information on line

• Hi Big E

Yes , Gleeson 7 is low to medium in terms of aggressiveness . It does also depend on PSA and what the Mri has shown.

Impossible to say survival times for stage 4 PC but these days people can last for years taking hormone medication.

If you can give further info it may be easier to give advice

Regards

Steve

• You are right -- it is confusing! If it's any help my discharge notes from 2014 say "Gleeson 3+4"-- I'm still getting up in the mornings !

• PSA was 159  , but has now reduced to 132. He’s 59 years old. Metastasis is widespread and multiple in his bones and is also in his lymph nodes too. We’ve been told it can’t be cured and that care is Palliative, but is not end of life yet.

1. Apologies- slight error , Gleason score is 4+3 which I understand is the higher end of medium.
  • There are different hormone treatments, it could be worth asking about other options as PSa us still 132.

Also check out   cancer research UK.org look under clinical trials.

• Thank you. His next oncologist appointment is in a couple of weeks and myself and his Macmillan nurse will be there. So we will ask about other options . His oncologist is very good. I’m feeling a lot better than I did this morning. I’m usually quite a strong person, but this morning I was waivering. But I am just home from a fantastic evening out with my friend, where we laughed and had a great time. He really is the most incredible person and I make sure to tell him that. I’m very lucky to have him as my friend. And as I tell him I will be with him every step of the way and we won’t give up!

• Hi

As I’m coming up to my sixth year being stage four Gleason 9/10 with a diagnosis of 893 PSA, then I can say yes people do live for some time, even with the most aggressive cancers, plenty of positivity and a good team keeps you going. I’m not saying it’s all plain sailing, but still here to fight another day, so will many more on here including you Big E.

Stay safe

Joe

• "Don't count the days -- make the days count ! " ( Muhammad Ali " quote)

• Love this post Joeven, so little information about success stories - I need to hear them!!

• Hi Dingbatoo, we all have profile's with more in-depth info on them, just touch the icon to read them.

All the best Ulls