Castration

• 13 replies
  • 118 subscribers

Since all the drugs we take to stop testosterone and stop the cancer growing does anyone know why castration is not an option. I'm 67 so not like I'd be worried about having children. Would appreciate if anyone had any insight to it please 

• Hi

Before you think anymore about this, ask the oncologist would this make a difference ? Because side effects might come into play, so ask the question.

Take care

Joe

• 'Orchiectomy' is still performed, though much less frequently now that chemical alternatives (HT) are available.

The side effects are much the same, but, of course, are not reversible, whereas in some cases, HT may be discontinued with a reversal of some of the side effects.

This article discusses many of the issues: Orchiectomy

But as suggested, discuss with your oncologist.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• It's just that people on here were its metastasized to more parts than me are getting radiotherapy but because a junior doctor in AandE found some in my spine he reckons it disqualifies me from radiotherapy and yet wen it was only in my lymph nodes and ribs radiotherapy was ok I don't see why the big difference. Regards john

• Hi

if you’ve had radiotherapy once, they are reluctant to do it again, unless it’s a last measure, I asked the same question and was told this only a few months ago. So it should have nothing to do with it being in your spine.

stay safe

Joe

• I was informed that you could not receive radiotherapy to the same place twice, hence although I know it’s in my ribs it’s best to wait until it’s unbearable before having radiotherapy.

• Yes, generally speaking it's not possible to irradiate the same place twice, and sometimes, due to the route the radiotherapy has taken in the past, it's not possible to deliver it where it might be needed now.

It's a complicated business, and there are a few exceptions to the rule, so it's always worth asking; but sadly in most cases, there's no way around it.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• I can understand that but as I've never had any radiotherapy surely it's a bonus they found it now so I'd still be acceptable for radiotherapy. Or have I completely misunderstood it.regards john

• I understand that joe but I've never had any yet so I thought I'd still be eligible  , regards john 

• I haven't had radiotherapy yes I thought I'd still be ok ,regards John