Itchy skin

• 5 replies
  • 119 subscribers

Some nights in bed I'm  woken by very itchy skin on my legs and feet and have to resist scratching them. I'm  told by Alison (Macmillan nurse) that this is quite common as a side effect of Zoladex injections, and best to aply soothing cream. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has suffered this annoying side effect?

Thanks

• Hi,  Yes I had this and was told to use Aqueous Cream.  You can get one from Savers which is SLS free which is an ingredient in most creams which can actually cause dry skin. It is fragrance free and lanolin free too. The tub I have from there is XBC (Xpel Body Care) Aqueous Cream, and comes in a blue and white tub, make sure you look for the SLS free type.  It costs around £1.00 for a large 500ml tub; a similar tub from Boots; not sure if they have SLS free, is around £6.00

• Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look in Superdrug when we're finally released from jail!

Best wishes 

• Hi Bas

Freefaller is absolutely right!

I have suffered from the same problem for over 3 years and it can be uncomfortable at times. I think it is a very common complaint experience by people undertaking this form of treatment.

The hospital originally subscribed a cream called Pliazon but I found it to be a bit too thick to apply easily so I started using a cheap aqueous moisturising cream such as XBC which has been of some help. Hormone treatment completely changes one's skin texture causing it to become dry, itchy and a bit flaky. I'm afraid that it doesn't seem to get better and I have just learned to live with it. I do find that it is slightly worse this time of year and I think this may be due to living with central heating which is notorious for drying out one's skin.

Very best of luck.

• Hi Freefaller,

Can't find SLS free cream, will the plain XBC do the job just as well as that's all I can find?

• Savers have this have you got a Savers store near you?  If not then Cetraben cream is SLS and paraben free but much more expensive - I don't know if you can buy at pharmacies as when I need it for eczema it is prescribed in a huge tube which I never finish before eczema has cleared but I have seen it online but more expensive.  I would ask your pharmacist for SLS free paraben and perfume free.  I can't say if the ordinary XBC cream would be the same so better to check with a pharmacist.