PSA still high after prostate removal

• 13 replies
  • 126 subscribers

I had my prostate removed ust before Christmas. 

I was Gleeson 3+4.

All good, cancer hadn't reached the surface all seemed fine.

6 week PSA check was 0.8!

Nurse said it might be a blip so being retested in 3 week, but I can't see how there could be anything left. So am confused since I'm not convinced about the blip explanation.

Thinking that I'll need radiotherapy and possibly hormone treatment.

Bit gutted since it's all go smoothly since my diagnosis in 2016.

• Hi Mad Dog 

Welcome, sorry to hear of potential problem.

As u probably know PSA should fall to near zero after surgery to remove the prostate.

.8 is too high, fingers crossed it is a blip or incorrect.

At least if there is some residual cancer u have got the RT option. 

Best wishes

Steve

• Cheers Grundo for the reply.

Sorry it's taken so long to acknowledge, 7 weeks of RT completed and it was a breeze apart from a slight side effect - ya don't want to know!

Roll on August to get the results though I was warned not to be disappointed if it's all been in vain... there are further options.  So long as I can sort it in 2021 I'll be happy.

• Glad it's going ok M, fingers crossed for August

Regards

Steve

• HI Mad Dog,

My PSA remained higher than it should have been after surgery, so I had 6 months of hormone therapy and during that time 6 weeks of radiotherapy as well. In my case it seems to have done the trick, and I sincerely hope it works for you too.

•  My pre  op PSA was 16. After surgery it went to zero but at 3 months it increased to 0.6. Had 6wks of RT followed by 2y of hormone therapy, psa has remained undetectable . My 2y hormones therapy finishing in six months then we will see is psa stays down, if so then jobs done .

• . These I found are the hardest times, between treatments, waiting for results, I assume you’re also under Ruh in bath? I had surgery then chemo. Currently on hormone therapy 

• Hi. 

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had the same problem but my PSA was over 4.0 following radical prostatectomy. Scans initially showed nothing but then they found some small metastases in my lung. I went on to HT and a course of chemotherapy. The chemo (docetaxel) had very little side effects and I continued to work throughout. I am now in remission. I am not suggesting that your case will be anything similar as only your doctor can diagnose but my point is that if it comes to HT or chemo the fear of it is generally much worse than the reality. Best wishes

• hi maddogofbath, sorry to hear of your concerns with your psa level, i to had a open surgery to remove my prostate due to the size of it, gleeson 3+4 at time of surgery my psa was 79, after surgery it had dropped to 9 , but within 6 months it had risen to 17 ,scans could not detect where the cancer had spread to,so only option was to go on Hormone therapy, and within 6 months it was down to 0.2 then droped to 0.1, i was on prostap 3 monthly injections, i been on them for 6 years but recently it has risen to 0.5, so been scan process again, now nothing again found so started on Decapeptyl to control and shrink it wherever it is, no problems to complain of, usual hot flushes etc, but oncology nurses and doctors are absolutely outstanding, i also had two years ago had skin cancer on my nose which spread to my first set of lymph nodes in my neck and shoulder had surgery with six weeks of radio therapy, the radio therapist and nurses were absolutely fantastic who made a scared old man feel cared for and helped me feel relaxed and comfortable, these doctors and nurses are first rate and you can believe me when i say they will take great care and whichever treatment they think is best for you,  my life over the last seven years has been a bit of a saga but just stay with it, andy

• Thought I'd post my actual numbers following surgery July 2020. Latest first:

0.044 10th November 2021
    0.040 July 2021
    0.035 10th March 2021
    0.027 November 2020
    0.084 August 2020

Note that 5 weeks after surgery was the highest as there was still some residual PSA in my system. Then it fell.

Worth always ensuring you get you get your decimal points in the right place. I've seen many people get confused by 0.08 and 0.8 - the latter is ten times the former!

• Have you not been tested since August 2020?

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.