First PSA on Active Surveillance after Biopsie

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 24 replies
  • 126 subscribers

Hi had 1st PSA after Biopsie back in July PSA then was 5.2 ( gleeson grade 6 )  

PSA  just come back of 5.8 was hpoing it wouid have dropped does it go up & down much ?

Cheers Kev

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Hi Freefaller

Hoe did you get  on with HT & RT and wot wot made you take those  options?

Cheers Kev 

• Not sure you could call it AC in the present circumstances with covid  - in my mind they would be chasing and calling you in for checks but for me it was me doing all the pushing  - Kev when you go back say in a few months - make sure you abstain from riding bikes and sex several days before - i am 59 my history is 3.4 to 3.7 to 2.9 and I did have cancer !

• Kev all the advice below is all good but push push - in the present climate with covid - i feel AS is out of sight out of mind - The gold standard is MRI before biopsy !

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pauloboss

Hi Pauloboss

Will take note i don't ride a bike and not that active in sex department  was in isolation just before had last PSA

Cheers Kev

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Pauloboss

First biopsy showed abnormal cells  back in 2018.after biopsy 

Biopsy end of July this year no mri this time straight to biopsy after PSA had gone upto 5.21 came back with gleeson grade 6 age 58

Cheers Kev 

• kev

Unbelievable really that they did your second biopsy without first doing a MRI.

MRI tells u so much more about size and possible spread.

With your low PSA , by having an MRI first may well have meant that a second biopsy wasn't necessary.

As I have already said though, things do look ok with  your  low PSA/gleeson.

All the best. 

Steve

• Hi Kev,

Sorry I didn't realise it has been a week since I have had time to sit at my computer and go through my e mails.  Christmas seems to have overtaken me - well finding, decorations, lights etc! 

I got on fine with the HT a little fatigued and got a few hot flushes I am sure I had minimal side effects because I continued to exercise and go to the gym at least 4 days a week all the way through treatment.  I didn't put on weight but did find a small roll of fat appearing around my middle from the HT.  This has now disappeared within about about 9 months of stopping the HT.  During the month of radiotherapy I had one night just about half way through when I was up all night urionating - we are all warned that we may have problems from about the half way point with urinary and bowel problems.  As my tumour was near the back of the prostate and pushing on the rectum I had expected more bowel problems but didn't get any until 4 months post radiotherapy when I had a sigmoidoscopy for another problem.  During the sigmoidoscopy the Dr showed me the slight redness caused by the radiotherapy.  Unfortunately that very night I started to have problems so I think that was caused by the sigmoidoscopy so soon after the radiotherapy.  I was given treatment and this cleared up but sometimes still have more than one bowel movement a day I control that by using 1 Loperamide (Immodium) tablet and a fybogel sachet.  All in all the heart problem - Atrial Fibrillation (AF) which I was diagnosed with about 5 months post radiotherapy caused me far more problems than either the HT or RT.

HT and RT were chosen because at MRI the tumour was shown to be at the back of the prostate pushing into the rectum and the oncologist therefore couldn't be sure that the cancer had escaped so therefore radiotherapy was considered better as it would get all cells in the area whereas removal could leave cells in the local area.

Allt he best

Des

• Hi Kev I was  diagnosed in 2018 Gleason score 3+3 6  opted for AS have had 4 MRI scans showing no change.

Psa changes each time up and down from 4 to 6.5 will now have psa checks twice a year and stay on AS unless situation changes then will need treatment.

What is your situation at present similar to myself?

• Treatment was good for you. My Gleason score was 3+3 in 2018, had 3 MRI scans since showing no change.

My psa varies from 4.8 to 6.6 my last result this week 6.1 so down from 6.45 6 months ago.

Programme changed consultant going monitor 6 monthly psa tests then MRI and maybe biopsy if psa rises consecutively on psa tests.

As per your treatment I would go for your programme if given choice, your results proves works

• Hi Kev,

I’ve not heard of a young 58 year old on here with PC. I was 55 when diagnosed over 2 years ago and now have a PSA of< 0.01 How are things going with you and your treatment?

Regards,

Pete.