First PSA on Active Surveillance after Biopsie

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 24 replies
  • 124 subscribers

Hi had 1st PSA after Biopsie back in July PSA then was 5.2 ( gleeson grade 6 )  

PSA  just come back of 5.8 was hpoing it wouid have dropped does it go up & down much ?

Cheers Kev

• Hi Herdsman

Having a biopsy will not really change if the psa goes up or down, It is having a treatment that should hopefully reduce the Psa.

Psa is not particularly high, what Gleeson  score does the biopsy give you and what did the Mri say?

Steve

• Hi Kev

Your PSA slight increase could be related to the biopsy.

Mine went from 3.5 before biopsy, to 9.1 six months after. I was at the point of having treatment but then my PSA started to come down again. So I carried on AS. Now settled around 4.

Cheers

David

• Hi,

I don't know if any Doctor has mentioned this to you but if you do any hard physical exercise or have sexual relations within 48 hours of a PSA test it can make the reading go up a little.  I found that working on my exercise bike or cycling 10 miles the day before did this I didn't find out that this could make a small difference for quite a few years.  Also it depends where the blood is sent to for testing as some laboratories count to slightly different parameters so sometimes if your bloods are taken at a hospital and sometimes at the GP and they use different laboratories you can get slightly different readings - but not always if it is a local hospital and it has it's own path lab then it's likely blood taken at the GP will also go there.  Though generally I would imagine this would make a difference of maybe 0.1 or 0.2 its just something to be aware of. 

PSA can also go up with urine infections and for other reasons. 

PSA also changes with age so  the readings for someone of 70 would be different from one you would expect at 50 and younger. How old are you? 

As I said this is just something to be aware of rather than the reasons your PSA went up.  The simple act of having a biopsy will make it go up  for maybe a few months. 

Did you have an MRI Scan before the biopsy?  My advice is to wait until the next PSA you should be having one regularly and if this continues the upward trend it may be time to start thinking about needing treatment in the future.  My brother had brachytherapy just over a year ago for gleason 6 as due to family history (I had had prostate cancer and our father had it - though got it later in life and died at 89 of pneumonia with prostate cancer not of it) decided on treatment straight away rather than wait.  In our family everyone got younger as they were diagnosed my Dad was in his early 80's I was 73 and my brother was 70.  I do hope it misses a couple of generations with my two sons and two grandsons,

All the best to you.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Steve 

Gleason score 6 didn't have mri scan before this last biopsy ( last scan was end of November 2018

Cheers Kev 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to David193

Hi David 

Hopefully next will come down abit .

How long have you been on AS

Cheers Kev 

• Could be worth pushing for another MRI as two years since last.  Both gleeson and PSa are probably showing not too much to worry about.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Steve 

The first biopsy in November 2018 showed some abnormal cells after mri scan

2nd biopsy was end of July this year gleeson 6 

Kev 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Hi Des

My dad had prostate cancer in his early 70's had treatment ok till he turned 82 died we think it had come back 

I'm 58 with gleeson grade 6 there was talk about taking prostate out ( first hospital put 3+4 =7 gleeson sore but the 2nd hospital downgraded it to gleeson 6)

How long have you been on AS?

Cheers Kev 

• Hi Kev

I have been on AS for three and a half years.

Cheers

David

• Hi.

Was never on AS at diagnosis PSA 12.9 and Gleason 7 (3+4)  Had MRI after Biopsy - which should always be the other way round - and MRI showed that tumour was pushing on the back of the prostate into the rectum so went from T2 to T3 as the Oncologists could not rule out escape of some cancer cells.  Up until then could have had either removal or HT and RT but at that point was advised to go for Hormone Therapy (HT) followed by Radiotherapy (RT)  Had HT for 9 months and then one month of  radiotherapy 4 years ago.  PSA still undetectable.