Penile cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Had operation on 7 th January 2020  big tumour removed today had catheter removed lost most of my penis afraid to look down properly got another operation in few weeks for lymph nodes any body else had similar problem any advice how to cope lots of pain still thanks John 

• Hi John. 

Sorry to hear you have had to join the club.n

Not a club anyone would want to join. But you are not alone.

The pain will easy it is still very early days and there is a lot of healing to happen. Try to focus on this pain being healing pain not cancer pain. It's a positive path you are on now. Don't feel you need to look at the area I didn't for about a year. I am glad I did not see the trauma area as those images would stay with me I am sure. 

Where are you being treated.?

Pop me a friend request if you wish.. 

Take care 

David 

• Hi John, 

As David has indicated the pain will subside over time, I had full penectomy and node dissection in 2014, and from my experience I can tell not rush to heal and watch for infections, especially when going to the bathroom, always clean your self as much as possible. 

And you are not alone on this journey there are plenty of us around. 

rgds
    Wayne

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dave 46

Hi Dave John here how long did it take for pain to go away after first operation some days ok other times gets quite bad also do you have normal life after thanks John 

• Hi John.

Difficult to say, I was in hospital for 11 days post penectomy but they took all the groin nodes at the same time.  I also had infections  and a haematoma so my experience maybe different. The pain was mixed with a tight stiffness, an aching pain.. Not going to lie, it took months too improve so if you have days when it's OK.. Take that as a good sign.. I was told remember this is healing pain... it fine. My consultant at the time did say I would be pain free soon after the op, I would disagree. Just as I was getting less pain I started chemo and radiotherapy which is another story. You have had major surgery it will take time.