Recent diagnosis pancreatic cancer

• 11 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I suffered from a bout of jaundice in January, the reason being a pancreatic tumour pressing on the bile duct. After two attempts, a metal stent released the flow again, not without causing sepsis first!
I was finally operated on in University Hospital Coventry and it was discovered that although the lesion was in the head of the pancreas, it was too close to some blood vessels.  So I had my gall bladder removed, and was sent home with 40 staples to undergo chemo, radiotherapy and if the lesion has shrunk, surgery to remove the tumour.

The staff at all of the NHS Institutions who have looked after me have been informative, and hugely supportive whether they have been at Coventry, Morriston or Velindre. I include Macmillan throughout. 

I was lucky that Jaundice occurred to identify the tumour early as I had no indications otherwise. My chemo is planned to August and we’ll what the next steps will be. My 2 boys, my daughter and their husbands/wives have been fantastically supportive throughout so I remain positive. Let you all know how it goes. 
best regards 

Brian

• Hi Brian and a very warm welcome to the online community

It's great to hear what fantastic care and support you've had since being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer earlier in the year. I had a different type of cancer to you but noticed that no one from the group had stepped forward to welcome you yet.

I'm sure if you have any questions the other members of the group will do their best to help.

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username. In fact, you could copy and paste what you've put in your introduction here into your profile.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I too have just been diagnosed,  very similar.  Was completely yellow with jaundice. Needed a stent fitted. One thing I noticed as soon as the stent was fitted. Was my lower back pain disappeared.  And although I have just been diagnosed . I felt the best I have felt in ages. Just starting my journey of Chemo. Best of luck

• Jaundice was pretty grim but if it wasn’t for that my cancer wouldn’t have been diagnosed so I suppose I should be thankful for looking like Homer Simpson for a month. Chemo is going pretty quickly with no serious issues so far, I’m halfway end of next week. Best of luck to all. 

• I too was only diagnosed because of jaundice! You sound so positive, which is fab to see. I am struggling to not think about how hard chemo is going to be!!

• Hi Rom Mum, the only real problem I had before chemo was all the literature describing the horrendous side effects and this being reinforced by every consultant I met along the way. I’ve had one or two, pins and needles in fingers, slight constipation and general tiredness but apparently very few have all on offer! The consultant Pharmacist can also tweak the dosage to limit some effects, in my case fatigue.

I have taken the good advice given and have listened to my body. If I’m tired I sleep, whenever in the day that is. Good luck with your upcoming experience. 

• Taffporthcawl

Thank you so much for replying. Its reassuring to know that chemo may not be as horrendous as I was thinking.

My consultant reckons as I youngish I should take chemo well. 

First I need to build up my strength again.

Rom Mum

• I was diagnosed with head of pancreas cancer in May.I commence chemotherapy on Tuesday.

I feel very positive but am a little apprehensive of the side effects.

I am prepared for them but am determined to stay strong I am stronger than this and I will beat this!!Pray

• Hi Tay Tay

I too am anxious about chemo. I start mine a week on Thursday.

So you are not alone.

Have you spoken to a chemo nurse about possible side effects?

What treatment are you having? Intravenous or tablets? Or both? 

Rom Mum

• Hi. I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic and have started the course of chemo (mine has spread so this is not for cure - this is to extend life - I am 56). From what I have experienced (I am only on my third session so not exactly experienced (!) but hopefully I can add something to this chat) chemo seems to be a real personal journey and depends on the personal response to the type given / needed medically. But from personal experience, the mind / spirit really does need as much care as the body in all of this. Keeping strong and remaining positive has really helped me (and has been difficult to achieve sometimes and I am definitely an optimist by nature). I have not found chemo as scary or debilitating as I thought it would be. The lack of energy and ability to therefore run around doing as much as I used to is frustrating. Losing my hair (which is happening slowly) is distressing but better than me not being here at all. The ongoing round of digestive turmoil, because I am now Creon (pancreatic enzyme replacement) dependent to eat and have a duodenal stent, was (and to some extent still is) difficult to manage - again more emotionally than physically and more impacting on me personally than the chemo I would say.  I hope this helps in some way to everyone here. I guess I am just trying to say that chemo really hasn't turned out to be as bad as I had anticipated!    

• Thank you for your wonderfully positive post. It puts my condition in perspective and reinforces my feeling also that the best approach is to be positive and look for the good times when possible. The very best of luck for the future, because you do have a future. Best regards Brian