Pancreas carcinoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi guys I’m new here. My husband is been diagnosed 3 months ago.my world turn upside down. When we was told he ihave under a year. He also not fit for chemo.

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that your husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 3 months ago. This must be a very hard time for you both so no wonder it feels like your world has turned upside down.

I'm sure if you have any specific questions about your husband's diagnosis and treatment the other members of this group will help if they are able to.

You might also like to consider joining the carers group which is a safe and supportive place to share your worries with others who are looking after a loved one with cancer.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your husband's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi I’m sorry to hear your news. My husband was also diagnosed 4 months ago and given 16months. I Understand why doctors have to provide you with the worst facts but you have to be strong and put the initial shock behind you and not give up. At the start they weren’t sure my husband was fit for chemo due to a recent heart attack. We got cleared and he started on Gem/ab which the oncologist felt was better for his condition. We were also told they could not operate. After round 1 his scans showed a significant reduction in the tumour. In two weeks he’ll have another scan  if he has another positive response he may have a chance at surgery.  So my advice is to try your best to push through the initial shock and don’t give up you just don’t know the outcome until you start the journey. I don’t know your personal situation but is there a second opinion you can get on chemo or alternate treatments? Stay positive. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi yxkaus, I’m happy for you and your husband that is a great news that he start his chemo. When the first consultation oncology just spoke to Us through phone call coz of the corona virus they cancelled my husband appointment. Because my husband lost a lot of weight they put him down not fit for chemo. When he was first diagnosed he was jaundice his bilirubin was to high. They put a biliary stents as he had a blockage. Stay at the hospital for 3 weeks bilirubin was to slow to come down apparently if his bilirubin is to high it’s not safe for chemo. If they done the 2nd stents while we still in hospital on first place he would not lost so much weight. The plan first is they have to put 2 stents. They scheduled him twice for the second stents but they cancelled twice with no explanations They keep us 3 weeks in the hospital then they decided no need for the 2nd stents. They discharged him. I was so angry of the way they handled the case of my husband. They discharged him more or less the way they said to us go home and die.Coz the cancer of my husband is metatestic spread to his liver. That’s What I think they Did not bother for the 2nd stents. When home he was eating ok. We we’re determined to put his weight back but after 4 days he can’t eat his feelings fullness all the Time phone our gp she told us I think he might have a blockage took him back to hospital that’s what we find out he needed another stents and surprise surprise it’s jujenum. That’s the 2nd stents that they suppose to do when he was confined that they cancelled twice. Because of that problem he lost more weight not been able to eat no appetite. He have Ascites as well. he just come out from Hospital they have done a procedure they put pluerx drain permanent district nurse will come to our house to drain him. I’m so devastated that there’s nothing they can do. I cried all the time makes me feel I want to go with him.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I’m sorry to hear of what you have been going through. You should really reach out to the supportive services that Macmillan offer. You may feel that there is nothing that can be done but it really helps just to be able to turn to someone and talk. Looking after someone you love who is hurting is hard and our emotions get the better of us and we can’t see or think clearly so by talking to someone who is less attached emotionally will help you see things differently or give you a different perspective to consider. Please do reach out to them your not alone. I try to remember that at the end of the day doctors and nurses have so many people to look after. I only have one patient my husband so I need to stay calm and just do the best I can to make him as comfortable as possible. if someone makes a decision that Your not comfortable with then just keep asking lots of questions. you know him best because your with him 24 hours a day so if something doesn’t feel right then you need to explain to the doctors or nurses your concerns. There’s nothing wrong with a few tears its ok to cry I do too it makes you feel better. However you need to positive and strong. Every day they are with us is a good day Blush so we need to make the most of it.