Can't Sleep

• 2 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Just been recently diagnosed,  over the last few weeks my whole world seems to have changed . My thoughts dreams expectations.  

It all started when I turned yellow,  after a few days in hospital. Numerous scans, exrays loads of bloods taken. Stent fitted in my bile duct. And now cancer. They are hoping to shrink my tumors with 3 months of Chemo, followed by surgery.  

I just wish I could sleep. I am tired I just find it difficult to sleep at night. Anyone got any advice on how to get back to sleeping at a reasonable time.  I find myself awake some nights until 7/8 in the morning. 

• Hi Holdon. Sorry you have not had any reply's to your post yet. I have a different type of cancer to you, so I hope you don't mind me posting here,

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnoses. Getting a cancer diagnoses is extremely stressful, and that brings a whole load of emotions, and lack of sleep certainly does not help. I think many of us have periods of insomnia. I experienced a long period of not sleeping. I could go off to sleep quite quickly, but after an hour I would find myself wide awake again, and would spend the rest of the night getting frustrated because I couldn't sleep. I spoke to my GP in the end, and I had a prescription for sleeping tablets, which I took for a short period to try and break the cycle. They did help, but I didn't want to stay on them because they made me feel drowsy the following day. Ironically I was then put on amitriptyline to help with migraines, and they knock me out at night, so I now sleep very well. 

I have found an information sheet about insomnia which you may find helpful. I'll put a link here for you.

impacts-of-cancer/trouble-sleeping

I hope this approves for you, and I wish you all the very best with your treatment.

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks will have a look