Exercise after whipple surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 23 subscribers

Hi!     I had whipple procedure , (PPPD) on the 1st April this year and was discharged on the 15th. Initial recovery was slow and painful but now I feel lots better, almost normal, although tummy's a bit tender still and I'm having to re-learn my diet!     I asked my doctor if I could start exercising again and was referred to your website, hopefully you can advise me. I have had a good browse through but can't find anything about exercise?

I am a 72 year old man, 1.7m tall weighing 60kg (63kg prior to surgery) , prior to the op I used to walk 3 miles , briskly most mornings plus walk dog half an hour in the afternoon and I'm keen to resume ASAP. However this corona-virus has changed things dramatically and I'm not even sure if I'm allowed out the house? 

I would be grateful if you could give me a few pointers!!    Thanks - 

• HI Gwenrick

Glad you are feeling O K after your whipples procedure. My op was April 2019 followed by chemo which finished in November. Therefore any thoughts I had about real exercise were shelved until my chemo had ended.

after the whipples the surgeons and physio said it would be a 6 month recovery period and not to try and do too much too quickly. i had lost my appetite completely and my taste buds went haywire but we managed to find food which was reasonably palatable. however within 3/4 weeks of chemo finishing my appetite returned to normal and 6 months on my physical health has improved tremendously.

I am able to take the dog for decent walks and those maintenance jobs around the house and in the garden which I wasn't able to do last year cause me no problem.

A couple of tips which you may find helpful.

I f you have stairs at home use them as often as you can , it helps build leg strength.

if you go for a walk remember you have to walk back home so don't go too far to begin with.

When you go out by yourself take your mobile just in case you need help.

I have found that your body has great recovery powers but don't try to force the issue by overdoing it

I am 70 years old at 1.75m and now weigh 73kg an increase of 10kg since the chemo ended

As far as covid19 is concerned your G P or the hospital will advise you as to whether you ought to go out..

Hope this helps and you continue to make progress

Best Wishes

Kevin