Struggling with dads death from PC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

My dad was diagnosed with stage 3 Pancreatic cancer at start of Sep. He died 2days after Xmas. It's now been 2days & I can't cope. He couldn't get out his bed for 2weeks had no energy and was drinking an obscene amount of fluids,and yet he was still thirsty all the time. He got admitted on 22dec had a blood transfusion as he had low Hb. Iron deficiency & had lung infection. Friday he complained of stomach pain that intensified rapidly. Nurses said he had a bleed with a bowel movement which made his BP drop. They gave him hours to live & the pain was unbearable. Nurses gave him 2mg of morphine. Baring in mind dad had dropped to around 8.5 st. They gave him another 2mg of morphine around 40-50mins later..pain still excruciating. He was very agitated so they gave him some sort of valium 2mg. In space of 3.5 hours he was given 8mg of morphine, the last dose made him slip away. I can't help but think they overdosed him & just left him to die. It's now been 2days & I can't sleep or eat & everything is going through my head.

• Hi Lollipopm51

I am so sorry to hear of your dad’s diagnosis and his recent death.

it is very common when someone dies that our immediate memories are of the actual death and what happens at that point. I’m not medically trained but when death is approaching medics will give pain relief to help. This is what the morphine is for. He was most likely slipping away and the medication helps with the pain and agitation.

Over time your memories will change to better ones because, after all, the vast part of your life with your dad will be good memories.

Try to think of some of these now and maybe try to tempt yourself with a little food. You will cope. We have amazing reserves of strength.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi squeaky

so sorry to hear of your loss and the trauma you and your dad went through.  I experienced the same with my dad in July.  It’s very early days for you so take plenty of rest, eat when you can and drink fluids.  A day at a time and the rawness of the trauma and loss will ease.

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My apologies for putting the incorrect name. I am new to this site.... so sorry Pray