Weight gain - Pancreatic Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi,

Regards to all.

My mother was recently diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She's struggling with most foods, was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for foods to help keep/ gain weight that are easy to digest, I've been giving her loads of soup, but her weight is still going down at quite a rapid pace...

Thanks,

Smithy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Worth trying complan or similar ? Xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just looked it up, looks good just need to find a dairy free option for her.. will give it a try thanks! 

• FormerMember

Hope it helps Blush you should have access to a dietitian at hospital and might be able to get something on prescription to save on peace of mind (and costs) ?

• Hello, normally with pancreatic cancer a dietitian will recommend lacing food with high calorie creams but if your mother has an intolerance to dairy foods this won’t be helpful. If you can not access a dietitian through the hospital then ask the GP. They should be able to make referral.

• U may b able to ask a dietitian thru "ask an expert" on this website?

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi 

U could try some of the dairy substitutes, eg coconut milk/ cream has a  a high calorific ( saturate) content. The Vegan Society may be able to give advice on these. 

https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan

I'm a long standing vegetarian so still use dairy but also try to use plant- based products to balance my diet.

Also, check out plant based yoghurts- eg Alpro. I take it your mum's OK with soya yoghurts-, milk etc?

.Good luck!

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Smith_E

Have a look at the Pancreatic Cancer UK website if you have not already done so as there are tips for diet there.  

Squeaky

• Hello again . Grace Foods produce coconut milk powder in a 50g pack- small enough to try. Sainsbury's sell it.

Hope that's useful

• FormerMember

Will be finding out about dietitian on 12th, but have began looking online thank you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to buttercup01

Thank you so much, will check out vegan society now. We try to stay away from soy products, but the coconut milk sounds good!