Dad starting palliative chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I’m about to take my Dad for his first round of palliative chemo.  

We have talked about side effects and I have read that gemcitabine can result in mild side effects of a shorter duration.

i know everyone reacts differently but i’m interested to know your experience of this drug please?

My parents are pinning everything on the chemo giving him more time while choosing not to know what that timeframe might be.

He is currently as well as he was pre diagnosis, symptom free and I wish we weren’t doing this so he could maintain his quality of life as long as possible, but it’s his decision and I have to support him, even though he’s going to spend his last months on chemo with whatever that brings.

• Hello again Meg Mac

I hope the day goes well.

As you say Gemcitabine seems to be a milder chemo. My husband was on it for about three months. The only side effect he had on this regime was tiredness.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi Squeaky,

thanks for your reply, so far so good first chemo under his belt.

do you mind me asking whether it stopped working after 3 months? Is that why it was stopped?

my Dad is on a 3 month cycle then a scan which i’m dreading.

mm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi meg Mac 

my mum had 5 out of 6 courses of Gemcetibine. She tolerated it really well and had very few side effects. During this time she was mostly well and we had lots of good times. Unfortunately she got heart failure so that was the end of chemo. She died 14 months after diagnosis and many of them she was really good. Best wishes to you