New diagnosis - lack of communication

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone, my Dad has been diagnosed with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. He was a previously fit & well 81 yr old with a passion for horticulture and sequence dancing with my mum. It has been a terrible shock. My sister & I are trying to support them both while allowing them space to come to terms with what’s happening. We know it has metastasised to his liver & he’s had a biliary stent fitted which is now working, he’s been told it’s inoperable but they won’t discuss treatment options until his jaundice has abated. I’ve also seen the word cholangio mentioned on paperwork which is bile duct cancer and quite rare for western world. Next MDT isn’t until mid week and so we wait.  In your experience, is he likely to be offered chemo? Meanwhile the disease continues unabated.  Thankyou for any contributions, we are finding lack of communication from those treating him a real problem.

• Hello Meg Mac

I am sorry to hear of your Dad’s diagnosis which will have come as a shock. Unfortunately, with most cancer diagnoses there is a bit of ‘waiting around’. What I have discovered with PC is that all cases are different so I don’t think any of us here could give advice about whether or not chemo will be offered. The slight delay is for the MDT to meet and that means there is considered input from a lot of people. It also means that until it meets no one in the team will give a view about the future. I’m sure you will hear something about treatment next week.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi Squeaky,

thankyou for taking the time to reply.  They have had one MDT and we were focusing on that but perhaps understandably, the waiting is depressing my Dad.  Can anyone tell me how long they waited after the MDT to hear anything?  We wouldnt have the info we have without pressing hard.

tia megmac

• Hi Megmac

Unfortunately there is a lot of waiting. I’ve seen on here and elsewhere that the contact after the MDT can be at different times. It is usually quite quick though. For us, it was the same day. 

It is a difficult time but the best advice I can give you is to take one day at a time.

If you haven’t already seen it the Pancreatic Cancer UK website is very good.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi Squeaky,

thankyou, Dad is having a better day today which obviously lifts us too.

i guess we just have to be patient.

mm