3 types of chemotherapy treatments

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

Hi all

my mum has just been diagnosed with stage 4 primary pancreatic cancer with peritoneal disease metastases.

we have just been through the 3 chemotherapy options suggested for my mum, as it is at a late stage, it is inoperable.

please can anyone help currently undergoing chemotherapy themselves and are taking either of these chemo options:

1. Folfirinox

2. Nan-pacilitaxel with gemcitabine

3. Gemcitabine on its own

I would really like to get some first hand experiences, such as side effects experienced. We are petrified at the moment as this has knocked us for six and we don’t know which way to turn. I’m finding it hard to get my head around my mum has to be injected with this poison in order to keep cancer at bay. This will be a long journey for my mum if she takes the chemo. We are looking into natural alternatives, such as an alkaline diet as cancer can’t grow in alkaline, apricot kernels and also the heidelberg university pancreatic centre in germany, for a second opinion. They seem to be much more advanced than the uk with higher success rates after treatment.

any advice would be very appreciative as we are gonna throw everything at this

chloe

• Hi Chloe

First of all, I’m very sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis. From my own experience I know having a diagnosis of this is very frightening for all concerned.

i am on this forum as my husband had pancreatic cancer. I’m not in any way medically qualified.

l am slightly surprised that the medics have given you three options with chemo as they usually suggest one course of action. 

Although not medically qualified I do know from a long time on this forum that chemo regimes affect different people in different ways with side effects so for every person who ‘sailed through’ the regime another will have some serious side effects. It’s unpredictable. You just have to see how you get on. Folfirinox is the hardest regime and generally has the most side effects but there are people who do not have side effects.

i don’t have any experience of natural alternatives.

i don't have personal experience of Heidelberg treatment. I have heard of others treated there and read their literature. I would say that they are not more  advanced than the U.K. but I do think that they will operate more readily than here and they may be able to offer treatments that are not yet licensed here.

I would recommend that you have a look at the Pancreatic Cancer UK website and maybe have a word with their nurses on their help line. They will be able to talk you through things.

Squeaky