Hair regrowth

• 6 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi everyone, I've not been on here much. Try my hardest not to think about cancer. 

Back in February I was diagnosed with high grade serious papillary carcinoma of primary peritoneum/ovary. Stage 3c/4.

I lost my hair very quickly but my head hair sprouted back quite quickly each chemo. I've had 6 rounds now and am waiting for a CT scan to determine a full hysterectomy and then 2 more chemos atm. 

I'm no way vain but I'm struggling with this tufty hair growth. I was wondering if anyone had gone through similar treatment. I don't want to go through this regrowth for it to fall out again when I have another 2 chemos. 

I've been shaving it between chemos but not sure what to do next. Sorry for waffling 

• Hi Picklewigs

I am sorry to hear of your cancer and subsequent chemo.

I had chemo for my cancer in 2022. I used the cooling cap which meant that although I kept some hair- I still lost a lot and went through the awkward regrowth cycle.

It is not vanity and I can understand why you are struggling. I had chemo damaged hair that remained- it was very dry and I also had regrowth of different lengths and textures. There was definitely a tufty stage. Looking back- it didn't last long but at the time it felt like it did. I used a leave in conditioner that I bought from tescos- I think it was called Childs farm- and that helped- both with the chemo damaged hair but also as it helped encourage the sticky up bits to lay down. 

It is your decision whether shaving it is right for you, but I can understand why it may feel the best option for you. The only thing I would consider is perhaps how long you will be waiting before the hysterectomy. After my hysterectomy I was unable to start chemo for another 6 weeks- as needed to be healed from the surgery. My hair loss started around 14 days after the first chemo. 

The other thing I used was dry shampoo and I found that helped encourage my new regrowth to lie down. 

I am sorry that you are going through this- the hair loss and regrowth is rubbish on top of the rest of the cancer journey. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much. That's been very useful. I'll try and find some of the shampoo. I just know I'll be so downhearted to grow and then lose it again. 

Seems a silly thing to worry about with everything else. 

Niki

• Its not a silly thing to worry about- its important to feel a bit of control in a situation where there isn't a lot. 

The conditioner was good and I felt it also helped my scalp. This is what I used and you seem to be able to get from different places.

Childs Farm | Kids Coco-Nourish Leave in Conditioner 125ml | Organic Coconut | Dry, Curly & Coily Hair | Conditions & Nourishes | Suitable for Dry, Sensitive & Eczema-prone Skin & Scalp : Amazon.co.uk: Beauty

• Yeah I found it. Also spoke to a MacMillan nurse. Following her advice I'm going to shave it off. She said due the previous treatments and the fact my hair is new, I'm likely to notice thinning or patches and I can't deal with that on top of everything else. 

I'm going to look into getting a wig, which will be another totally bizarre thing to do. 

I've ordered some of the shampoo to use when the time comes Grin 

Niki

• My hospital had a wig lady and hairdresser who used to come on Wednesdays. Its worth asking your CNS if there is anything at your hospital. They should also be able to give you a voucher for the wig. I chose to pay a bit extra for one I liked but the majority of the cost was covered by NHS

• I wore a wig or a scarf whilst my hair grew again, I wasn’t brave enough to go out bare headed, I had two wigs so could alternate.

My hair was grey when it grew and after 7 months I had is coloured but I find it too dark as my hair is fine so you can see my white scalp through it. Yesterday I bought a new hair colour, more blonde and I will ask my friend to do it for me.

Whatever you decide to do must be right for you. Good luck with whatever you do, a woman’s hair is important to her and once it grows it will be worth it. Cherry blossomCherry blossomCherry blossom