Aggressive non hodgkins b cell lymphoma

• 17 replies
  • 15 subscribers

please share any information that you can relate to 

• So sorry to hear of this. The lymphoma is likely one of the better known types and treatment for it well known and often very effective. Aggressive lymphomas are generally easier to stop than indolent (slow-growing types. The Gleason score on the prostate is not good, and they may offer to have it out, or use radiation upon it. His prognosis will largely depend on whether or not the prostate cancer is confined to the prostate or if it has spread. It appears that further testing "may" be discussed, but treatment sooner than later is always best.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• Hi   and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with my type of rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkins  Lymohoma (NHL) eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different from your dad’s I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

There are over 60 types and sub-types of Lymphoma so the Heamatologist will be doing more tests to double check your dad and find what stage your dad is.

There are 2 main groups of NHL….. Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma is a type of slow growing NHL that is treatable but incurable….. I have one of these types.

The other is High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma that grows fast…… the word aggressive can be used but the I itsl aim in treating this type of NHL is to cure.

Aggressive B-Cell NHL is mentioned on the note above…… but this needs to be clarified more as there are a number of different types of fast growing B-Cell NHLs…….

One of the main types is Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymohoma (DLBCL)……. this type like most types of NHL is treated with one of the many types of strong but very effective Chemotherapy.

I mentioned staging…..Staging in Lymphoma is rather different and unlike most other cancers like Prostate ….. where a high stage number like say stage 4 is a poor prognosis, in Lymphoma it’s not. I was stage 4a back in 2013 and it made no difference to my outcomes.

Staging in Lymphomas identifies

1) Where the Lymphoma is presenting in the body (it can be anywhere)

2) What is the best treatment approach and best treatment type for your presentation and

3) How long your treatment needs to be.

You need to sit with your dad’s  Heamatologist and find out the ‘exact‘ tyoe of NHL he has and what his treatment plan is including the ‘exact’ name of the chemo he is having (chemo is often named as a set of letters like R-CHOP)

Getting clear information is very important so this link > Questions to ask your medical team about Lymphoma will help you note down the top questions you need to as during the various phases of your dad’s Lymohoma journey.

As for your dad’s Prostate challenges I see that you have been posting in the Prostate Support Group.

Do get back to me if you need more information or just want to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• They did the tests and the prostate is advanced localised t3 and has not spread outside. The lymphoma is separate issue they found when they was doing ct scan. He has been experiencing a lot of stomach pain and can’t eat feeling full and bloated they said his spleen is enlarged and we are waiting for a pet scan. This has been going on since end of November and he seems to be detoriating day by day. Yesterday I went to see him after 2 days and he’s eyes and skin looks so yellow I feel really scared don’t know what’s going on.

• Thank you for all the information.

• Two good signs: the prostate is localised and surgery may be an option, after the radio-therapy to shrink of kill the cancer. Often doctor will administer some mild chemo to "mop up" any remaining tumour cells, if any. Cancer cannot be detected by scanning until possibly as many as one million cells develop, so caution is exercised to ensure that all are eradicated.

As to the lymphoma, B-Cell Lymphoma tumours tend to melt away like ice cubes when drugs such as Rituximab are employed. So, he does have a challenge, but some of us here have had multiple cancers and are still. doing fine, all considered. 

Do read up on both cancer and their therapy, as knowledge is not only power, but also comfort when one realises how much progress has indeed been made.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.

• Thank you for all the positive vibes 

will keep you guys updated with staging of lymphoma and which chemotherapy they decide to give Pray tone2

• Lymphoma, being a "liquid cancer" which flows in the lymphatic portion of our circulatory system, is often diagnosed at late stage. However, it remains just as treatable at all stages. I have been stage IV twice and have had approximately 100 tumours total.

• Hi guys 

so my dad had a turn for the worst over the weekend where he had to be admitted to hospital as his eyes and skin started becoming yellow. 
    lymphoma was causing this and they want to start chemo as soon as his liver is functioning better then now.  R-GCVP Is the chemo they want to give anyone familiar with this Frowning2️

• Hi again  sorry to hear this but good that treatment is starting…..  your dad’s treatment contains a number of drugs that are often used in the various treatments available…… I had a few of these drugs and they were very effective.

There can be Side Effects but each treatment journey is different so just take each day as it comes.

I am assuming that he will be having his treatment as an in-patient…… I had my treatment as an in-pawns I was very well looked after….. you have to put your trust in your dad’s clinical team ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi 

yes they started his chemo as an in patient todayPray tone2 how long from your own previous experience till he sees any improvement