Going back to work

• 12 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I am 9 months on from my SCT and feeling good. I've had some of my childhood vaccinations and I've recently joined a gym and plan on swimming once a week to build up my strength. I am very anxious about going back to work. I have a meeting with occupational health soon. I am a primary school teacher and concerned about my ability to cope as I still get fatigued very easily and I don't want to pick up infections from children. Teaching is very demanding and I wonder if I'll ever be ready to go back. I feel like a fraud because I look healthy and in remission but still get fatigued if I go for a long walk or have a busy day.. I often think about doing something else now instead. Can anyone relate and offer advise? I have also started on my maintenance chemo of lenalidomide and coping with skin rashes.

• Hi again  I am just bumping your post to see if any group members have first hand experience to help you out ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• ..... actually you may want to check out Myeloma UK as they have a Buddy Scheme so they may have someone who has navigated the exact same journey and for you to be able to have a chat........ they also have a Support Line on 0800 980 3332

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi,I had my SCT a year last August.I went back to work last March . I was hospitalized a year last xmas because of catching the flue which delayed my return  than last week I spent another 4 nights in hospital because of an infection. I have a managerial role in the building trade so meet alot of people daily so although the fatigue isn't too bad these days my immune system isn't great so like you we look healthy on the outside but there's always that risk. I'm 14  months on lenelomide and apart fom bloated stomach it's not too bad.

Good luck on your journey..

• Hi  

I am pleased to read that you are feeling well and are ready to get back on with your life......but that's just it, can you do that?

Maybe you feel (like I do about myself) that that was your life before cancer and your life and health is not the same now.

My cancer history is in my profile if you wanted to read, just click on my username. I worried about getting back to normal and getting back to work. As time went on and I became incurable and started treatment, I started to realise that I was the priority, not work. I took ill health retirement from the NHS as I knew I would not have the strength and vigour to be able to do that type of work anymore. I also could not deal with the stress anymore and didn't want to put my body through that again.

I can't advise you what to do but I would say, think carefully about what you want and what you are now capable of. Best regards.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hello, Everyone

I'm new to the forum, but am in a similar situation to Sunshine1.

I had my SCT in 11/23, and am still within my 100 days post transplant - so have bloods, biopsies, and vaccinations to come.

I'm a teacher, and have been signed off work since 08/23.  I am starting to think about (returning to) work but am concerned about being a classrooms full of teenagers (I teach at secondary), with a compromised immune system.  I also have to think about my salary - I have no idea how long my college will continue to pay (even a partial salary) - and how many days I could work.  I really love my students and my subject, but may have to think creatively about how to support students without facing groups of 20+.

There's much to think about, as the weather improves, the days get lighter, and we feel (hopefully) stronger.

:)

• Hi  

Welcome to the online community. I attended attendance meetings with HR and my manager, throughout my absence. They were very supportive and guided me re my options if I wanted to return or return in a less full on post. However, in the end I decided on ill health retirement due to my ongoing health concerns. I have not regretted my decision. 

Does teaching offer similar type meetings? The staff on the Macmillan helpline are very good and can help with workplace concerns. They helped me at that time. This is the link to contact https://www.macmillan.org.uk/about-us/contact-us

Hope you find the right advice and support with your decisions. Best regards.

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi, Sistermoon

Thanks for your message.

I sent a message to my line manager and HR, to update them about my situation - last Wednesday.  I've yet to get a response, so will re-send the message tomorrow (Wednesday).  Hopefully, someone will get back to me before our half term (w/c 19/2).

I shall contact MacMillan for advice re. my workplace concerns, as you suggest/recommend. Thank you.

Best

Slight smile

• Hi! I felt similar to you as well. 
    I work with children but in A&E so come in to contact with sick kids daily. 
    I worked with my manager and did a phased return over a few months and built up to full time. Fatigue still hits me so I have got a good balance of recovery and not worrying too much if you struggle one day or if you fancy spending your day off lay on the sofa watching Netflix (which is what I did today). 
    Im still on oral chemotherapy and was advised by my oncology team to avoid going back to work where I do and look at a non patient facing role. I refused and am taking the risk . I love my job. Cancer has taken enough from me I won’t let it take this as well. 
    I was anxious I’d pick up everything but so far (and I’ve been back full time a year) I’ve only had a couple of mild infections. 
    Working in your role you would have picked up a good immune system from working with kids and despite treatment you will still have some of that immunity left. 
    I advise to let your pupils parents be educated in not sending the children to school if any risk of infectious illnesses such as chickenpox, strep a (unless they’ve had antibiotics for 48hours) and waiting 48hours til the child is clear from D&V bugs. 
    also educate children again in hand hygiene like we did in covid. It’s a good life lesson to have. 
    It’s up to you though whether you take the risk or not. 
    Claire

• Hi

Perhaps you can discuss a phased return. And work from home for prep and planning. Teaching is very physically and mentally demanding . Maybe a slightly different role but still in the education sector might be worth considering .

• Hi Sunshine1 

I also have the same fear I was working in a care home delivering care & support to residents which meant I was involved with clients, their families & professionals also involved with them. I fear I could pick up any infections, fatigue is difficult for me and my side effects from treatments. I have started vaccinations I am 6months post SCT. I exercise daily & walk daily but managing that & other activities through the day is enough. I myself started lenalidomide & my side effects has been hives so I am being de sensitised which is worrying.

I am taking my time as I feel during the day I can choose where I go who I see due to my low immune system therefore not putting myself at risk. All what we go through has changed me emotionally I now think of myself I want more time doing what I have wanted to do & spend as much time with my family that I can. It sounds selfish but my career has always been caring for others I need to care for myself now I hope this is not too long winded & helps you feel you’re not alone in your thoughts. 
    Hope all goes well for you.

jacquie