Advice or views on trying cbd oil alongside chemotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Good afternoon,  I'm new here and firstly would like to say hello. I am looking for any advice really on whether there is a negative effect to trying a cbd oil alongside current chemotherapy being taken, and whether it has a negative interaction with the chemotherapy? I am asking on behalf of my dear Mum,  who was diagnosed with stage 3 multiple myeloma 2 years ago, and the current triple chemotherapy that she is on, to get her levels low enough for a stem cell transplant,  is making her so unwell and wondered if cbd oil would benefit not only the effects caused by the chemo, but also help with bone pain. I can list the current treatment that my mum is on if that would help. She is only 61 years old. Many thanks for taking the time to read my message,  kind regards. 

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Myeloma  but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I understand the challenges of the journey well……. and more so due to having had two Allo (Donor) Stem Cell Transplants (SCT) back in June 2014 then Scot 2015.

As to your question on trying cbd oil alongside chemotherapy….. this totally has to go to your mum’s clinical team….. the treatments used to open the window for Sten Cell Transplant to go ahead are very finely balanced and the slightest interruption/change in the process could jeopardise the actual SCT. So do talk with her clinical team.

As for the SCT process - we do have a dedicated Stem cell transplant group where you can talk with others about the SCT rollercoaster.

Always around to chat or help out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike,  thank you so much for your advice. Absolutely agree to bring this up with the team treating my mum, and also will join the stem cell transplant group too. Thanks again, all the best, Jen. 

• I have Myeloma but used CBD  oil for a long time for arthritis pain.  (Making  sure I used a good supplier to get a good strength).  I have given it up now as it didn't really help and got exspensve.  I now use Termeric capsules,  about 500mg  per day.  You need the ones with added black m pepper.  Start on a lower dose and work up.  Someone I know used 8mg per day.  Find them a lot better.

• I have multi-myeloma and were the turmeric tablets of any use. I take long and shorttec every day and wondered if these could enable me to reduce my pain killer dosages. 

• Hi! When I started my chemotherapy, my doctor advised me to stop taking CBD because of a possible drug interaction. It’s because CBD can inhibit certain enzymes responsible for the metabolism of drugs, and it can affect how drugs work and affect our bodies and either reduce their efficiency or even make them more dangerous.
    So, I had to look for another solution till the end of the chemo session. Thankfully, I was allowed to take other painkillers like Ibuprofen to relieve my pain. After the chemo stopped and I got into the remission stage, I made an appointment with a doctor from https://marijuanadoctor.com/locations/marijuana-doctor-sarasota to find out whether I could take CBD again. It was fine to take it, and I continued.