started on second line of treatment after failure of RADAR Trial

• 6 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi All, 

I was sent to Aberdeen RI on the 13th for pre harvest checks and to introduce me to the equipment at the blood transfusion centre. I was getting my Cyclophosomide priming on the 20th and harvest was booked for Edinburgh RI on the 27th, my good lady had booked a hotel for us for 4 days as edinburgh has no accommodation for patients or there carers. 

Anyhow I had an appointment to go to my haematology on the 14th to see my consultant, he told us that my harvest and transplant were cancelled as my cancer was progressing instead of reducing after 4 cycles of RADAR Trial, very dissappointed to have wasted 5 months.

However onwards and upwards on Wednesday I started my second line of treatment which is DVD, my consultant said there would normally have been a fourth drug in the regime but they did not have the money for it, that comment did nor bode well. So I had my first course of treatment on Wednesday which included a dex infusion which meant i was up at 3am and had to take another 20 of those horrid DEx again in the morning.

I am hearing reasonably good feed back about DVD and was wondering what  others think of it and if it has worked for them.

Thanks

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that your trial didn't work out but it's good that your consultant has another line of treatment up their sleeve.

I don't have any experience with the treatment you're now on, as I had a different type of cancer, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier to spot.

While you're waiting for replies it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username. 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  there are a few group members who are on or had the DVD treatment.

Try putting DVD into the search tool Mag near the top as this will bring up the older discussions and as always you can reply to the discussion and see if the member gets back to you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi. Alamo.   Kevin. (. Vespa).  Here.   I am a MM Patient. Diagnosed in June.  66 th. Birthday. Retirement day.  What a gift.   .      I am on cycle 4 of the. First line. DVT.     https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/drugs/bortezomib-thalidomide-dexamethasone

it seems to be going well.     I am now getting prepared for STC.   Subject to tests for viability.     I visit hospital. 3 times per week.  Monday always blood test.  Tuesday and Friday treatments.  All injections.     With. Dex at home  over 3 days every other week.  And the newish drug      Daratumabub   Which is none chemotherapy. It’s the immunotherapy drug.  I think it was approved in Scotland before. England      Side state my worst  part.     Peripheral neuropathy. And insomnia.  I take the thalidomide at home every night.        Fatigue and  frustration at longer being able to do the things I want to.     I hope other patients reach out also.    But it is working for me and the health care team in Worcestershire are brilliant.      Kevin 

• i am actually on DVTB       

Daratumumab, bortezomib, thalidomide and dexamethasone (DVTD)   Kevin

• Thanks Highlander will do.

• Hi Kevin thanks for responding, I also was diagnosed on my 66th birthday, i had not planned to retire but consultant said to me last week with my wife that i should retire and enjoy the things i wanted to do. Currently on a second 3 month sick leave.

Had already done the RADAR Trial which regretfully failed me and now back to the beginning, lost 5 months.

I am just on the 3 treatments of DVD consultant said they couldn't afford a fourth treatment so stuck with the 

daratumumab, bortezomib, dexamethasone not  sure what the fourth was possibly either thalidomide or lenalidomide. didnt have any issues with RADAR trial drugs hopefully will be same with DVD.

wishing you well.