Not yet diagnosed

• 7 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi

I am a 60 year old female.

I hope you guys don't mind me being on here with not yet having been diagnosed. I had a myeloma blood test about a year ago on the basis I was getting a lot of rib pain. I know the M protein is present in people with myeloma, and of course anaemia etc. I was told I had a small amount and the GP didn't seem too concerned so I left it at that. A year on, the rib pain is getting worse and from when I look up the symptoms, I have a couple (I do know they can be attributed to many other things). I get a sensation in front of my chest too, both sides not just on left, and lots of joint pain, ribs and back. I have also noticed I have been getting breathless more often and incredibly fatigued. I would just be very grateful to those of you would be happy to tell me about their symptoms before they were diagnosed. I am waiting to see what my GP says and if they will test me again. I don't have great confidence in GP's assessments currently as they are under so much pressure. I work for the NHS and and am aware that things can slip through the net.

Many thanks in advance.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and hear about your ongoing diagnosis journey.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a very rare (also incurable) but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Stage 4 in late 2013) so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is rather different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey well.

Let's look for your next GP appointment to be constructive and that you can be referred for further investigations so a clear answer can be found.

The NHS is indeed under a lot of pressure at the moment but over the past 6 months I have had extensive investigations, MRI, CT, Prostate biopsy done and these have all been done timely and efficiently by my GP and the various Hospital departments...... glad to say nothing significant was found.

Let’s look for the group members to pick up on your post. There are a number of active group members at the moment so why not click on the main ‘Myeloma Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat where you will find one of team there to help you out. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Always around to help more or just to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for your comments Mike. I'm going to hang around for a while until I'm told I haven't got myeloma. 

• One of the many things I have developed over my journey 24 years on this journey is the mind set that until I am 'actually' told I have something to worry about - I don't........ it helps reduce the over think slightly.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Yes, I'm the world's worst for overthinking things. Thanks.

• Hi Owen62. When my mum was diagnosed it was more the fatigue and significant weight loss.  As she had diabetes a lot of the medics put it down to that.  It was only through routine blood test that it was flagged.  Hope that helps

• Thanks Anon13. Do you know which blood test flagged it up? 

Thanks

• Hi Owen62. Apologies for the late reply.  Im not sure which blood test flag it up but she had full bloods checked at the GP who then made a referral to the hospital who then flagged the myeloma. Hope that helps