Doctors have tokd us the chemo,"s not working

• 4 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hello, I'm reaching out because my Dad's chemo has been stopped, and the doctors have told us that it won't be long before he slips away. I don't want to believe it and can not believe my Dad, who has always been such a strong, quiet, honorable, hardworking, and humble man, has been afflicted with this terrible disease. I am fighting believing the worst and I think that's not the best way to be, but I just can't bear to see him go. I'm here to ask what to say to him? What would he want to hear from his family? I want to do the very best for my Dad, I want to help him be at peace and not feel alone. Any help will be welcome.

• Hi  I am so sorry to hear how things have developed. This is such a hard time for you all. I lost my mum a few years back so I do understand what you are navigating.

What do you say?….. I was initially lost for words but mum knew that her time was ending so just wanted her family around her, to share memories, to look at old photos, to see her grandchildren and great grandchildren…… it was an amazing time of love and appreciation.

She was very practical so we went over all her affairs and ‘her’ wishes with regards to her funeral.

Knowing that someone you love is incurable can be very hard and you might like to take a look at this information from Macmillan on your feelings when someone has cancer and especially this section on looking after yourselfIf you're starting to struggle then it would be a good idea to have a chat with your GP.

Yiu Nat also want to join and post in our dedicated Supporting someone with incurable cancer support group where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

The Macmillan Support Line is open from 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 where you can talk with someone about practical information, get emotional support or just connect with a listening ear. 

Sending you supportive ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I'm sorry to hear of your Mum's passing, she sounded like she had accepted her reality. May she rest in peace. Thank you for your comment and for the information. I like the idea of old photos. I will see to it that Dad gets to look at old memories. Thanks again. 

• The old photos helped mum to happily  reminisce and helped her open up….. we actually had a pin board where we would put up some of the photo’s changing them as we walked through the stories….  we did not have to say much, she did all the talking.

During these final weeks we learned so much about her and my dad’s past that we had never been told before ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• You have shared something so personal and special, thank you. I too am learning things about my Dad and family I never even thought to ask before. One thing I absolutely know is my Dad is as strong as an Ox. Tha mnks for your time x