Still Unsure

• 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Late last year (2022) I was admitted to hospital suddenly for 11 days for Iron Deficiency Anemia, had blood transfusions and iron infusion, daily blood tests, Myeloma was being considered as a possible diagnosis. An MRI scan couldn't be done as I have a metal implant.  Haematology Dept reasonably sure it isn't Myeloma but requires monitoring.  Had a Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy, no cancers found to explain bad bloodwork results. Presently being treated for an underactive thyroid (discovered by bloodwork), taking prescribed iron supplements. However I have severe stabbing pains in the thoracic area of the back brought on by exertion, and constant lumbar back ache, X Rays attribute this to Spondylitis (?), fatigue, breathless - generally feel rubbish.  My recent bloodwork still showing low Red, White cells and low platelets. GP unsure what's going on so has ordered a further Myeloma Blood Screen taking place this month (Feb 2023). State of mind = just want to know what's happening, trying to remain positive amidst the uncertainty - complication that considering a move of home but maybe unwise at this precise momemt in time?

• Hi   and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma reaching Stage 4 in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different from the one being looked at for you I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Not having a clear diagnosis is such a challenge, I was the same back in 1999 as my consultant was 99% sure as to what I had but it took a further year, 6 biopsies and a few CT scans to get the pathology to tell the truth.

I do hope you get answers soon as the stress of this is in itself debilitating and can result in ‘some’ of the symptoms you are experiencing.

I have lived with Thoratic & Lumber Spondylosis - Spinal Osteoarthritis for many years and when I was working (I retired from teaching in 2011) fatigue, breathless, generally feel rubbish was part of life at times.

Even over the past few months I have been having tests for an ‘unexplained’ pain in my left side so full bloods, CT Colonoscopy and nothing has been found. But my GP will keep searching but the Consultant I was with on Friday past said “it may be one of these ‘unexplained’ pains that you may live with but it may just disappear”

The thing is, this has happened to me a number of times over the years with pains coming and going.

Have you had a Bone Marrow Biopsy?……. as this us often one of the diagnostic tools?

I have other health issues so it’s a balance as to what is just normal getting older (I am 67) or can be attributed to some of my conditions, or just one if the many bad bugs doing the rounds at the moment.

No answers from me but just to say the group is here for you and a safe place to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike,  thanks for the response, much appreciated!  I've not had a Bone Marrow Biopsy (as yet) You've had a rough journey for sure and obviously hope for better times for you. I'm age 76 like you have other health issues, cardiac related had 3 Radio Frequency Ablations to deal with irregular heart rhythm and pacemaker, (which is now redundant but left in place) and am on anticoagulant therapy (for past 23 years) heart meds also to stabilise rate and diurectics to ease load on heart as it's startig to fail, but I carry on carrying on LOL. Looking at the heart meds all seem to have the capacity to effect bloodwork, especially anticoagulant and diurectic - so really at the stage iof balancing risks re benefits.  Did some work in garden yesterday and paying the price today - painwise, hence the prospect of moving home. Pain relief is precription strength Co-Codamol, but they space me out a bit and I use them only as a last resort. Like you I guess, some days are better then others, I accept that is how things will be - part and parcel of getting older, but caught in the crossfire between my brain which thinks younger but the that body clearly disagrees.

•   these bodies make this living thing hard work at times…… but we just have to put our head down and fight into the storm clouds and try and stay standing.

Once we get to a ‘certain’ age range we have to juggle our on going health challenges need to be balanced with quality of life.

Washed the car yesterday for the first time this year and oh I feel it today but I always find this when coming out of the winter hibernation…. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge