Tingly hands and feet

• 7 replies
  • 21 subscribers

I am on my 3rd cycle of treatment  for MM and I'm getting really tingly fingers and feet.  It seems to be getting worse with each cycle. My nurse says it's neuropathy.   I find it difficult  to feel if things are hot or cold.  Any advise on how to manage this would be great.

• Hi  Peripheral Neuropathy is indeed a real pain Unamused...... but one of these necessary evils of going through these treatments.

You do need to watch out for hot things so take care.

I was told to get a pair of stress balls and I used to work my hands and fingers all the time to get the blood circulating around my hands..... I also wore gloves most of the time and had a hot water bottle/heat pad handy just to warm them up and get the blood flowing.

I was wearing socks in bed and would sit with a hot water bottle under my feet on and off during the day..... but keep walk as this helps ((hugs)) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• What a great name Sunshine1, made me smile.

I have Peripheral neuropathy,  it affects my hands, but more so my feet.

I take a drug called Gabapentin,  which was prescribed for the neuropathy and it works quite well.

I would suggest that you discuss your symptoms with your doctor or consultant and ask them for medication to deal with neuropathy.

Good luck and very best wishes.

Mike

• Highlander,

Thanks for advise. The neuropathy is still there, especially in my feet which get quite numb on the big toe and ball of my feet. I often wake up at night with achy feet. Even the touch of the duvet hurts. I do wear socks in bed which help to dull the sensation.  I know now that my feet will not drop off, it's just such a strange sensation to not feel them!!!my husband bought me a hot water bottle warmer for my feet, which s great.

I'm quite impatient as I know it will take time, but it can get you down. 

• This is one of the many bumps in the road we have to navigate. I see you posts that you are having your SCT done in Glasgow, I had the same team but I was in the Beatson for my 2 SCTs

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I use my daughters cat for bedtime warmthRoflactually he uses us. Try locking and unlocking the door. 3am every morning is no fun,and he wakes you by sampling your feet under the quilt. I am returning him after a five month cat sit as she works away. New hot water bottle I think. Keep an eye on the feet and the tingles. Log it is my best suggestion so you can guage if its aggravated by anything and can inform your care nurse as I do. As for the stem cell then drop a line will you. I'm curious but equally hope to be a help if you get a little frazzled by it . I really mean it. I have tried it twice and found I was in need of a friend who knew what was happening to me and why. I may not have an answer but can perhaps relate and tell you what it is and if I had it. I am conscious that we can only make vague suggestions and we cannot and should not offer medical adviceI can dig tunnels you know so you might be home early if it gets too much!!!

• Hi Brummie Villan.

Good luck with your cats!!

I had my stem cells collected last week and it went surprisingly ok. it wasn't painful at all. They got enough cell in 1 day which I'm told is good. 

I have a Face to face meeting tomorrow with the transplant team and I have my list of questions  ready. my husband will be coming with me, as an extra pair of ears. he has been my rock through all of this.

• Ask if they have enough stem cells for a second attempt if either this one does not take successfully or for in the future. They can store them for some time. I have to say that its likely as with me that the myeloma returns and you require an additional transplant as I have had. Its not being negative its about being informed and aware. I always called the stem cells my golden bullets! And be aware,this treatment can be tough on you. Its not the easiest treatment and side effects can be pronounced. You can and will do it. Dig in,dig deep and believe in you and you will find the character to stand up to it. My first transplant kept me in for 6 weeks. My second time was down to 18 days!  You will get through it. Keep in touch. Its our duty to help everyone in this position however we can is my belief and to try and support each other.