Blood Work Results from Cancer Center Appt

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

My brother had recent blood work at a major cancer center oncology first appt. since being diagnosed with multiple myoloma one month ago.

He is currently doing radiation treatments for lytic lesions in his back and has had 6 so far.

He is on pain meds particularly oxycodone and oxycontin which he takes before appts. to ease getting on and off treatment table.

He did have prednisone titrated for a week but that did not hit the pain much.

Radiologist doctor put him on dexamethasone starting today to treat the pain.

These are blood results:

Free kappa  333.6 mg.

Free lambda 3.3 mg

Free kappa lambda ratio 101.09

Total protein 12.4

IgA 38 mg

Immunoglobulin G  6,522 mg.

Immunoglobulin M 16 mg

Beta 2 Microglobulin 2.9 mg

Anion Gap 3 mm

RBC 3.32 m

HGB 10.8 g

HCT 30.3%

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and hear about the journey your brother is on.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have Myeloma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Stage 4) so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well but not the specifics of his condition.

It sounds like he is being well look after, but when it comes to the blood work results you have posted it’s a different language as far as I am concerned. So can’t make any comment.

I see you have posted questions to our Nurse Team but I see they highlighted that there are differences between the approaches used across different country’s.

Lets see if any of the group members pick up on your post.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge