Stem cell transplant

• 1 reply
  • 17 subscribers

My partner is going for his stem cell transplant at the start of September. What can we expect? They have said he will be in hospital for 3 weeks after transplant and he won’t really be bothered with visitors we have just had a new baby and have another girl just worried about their visits as children aren’t aloud  

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to hear that your partner is having to go through Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) but the process can deliver great results.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.l but also in our dedicated Stem cell transplant group.

I had my first Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplant in June 2014 then my second in Oct 2015 and this got me into my first long term remission for the first time in over 16-17 years and I am doing great.

Do join the group and put up a post as you will connect with others who have navigated the unique journey the SCT is.

It would also be helpful to say what type of SCT he is having. Is he having an Auto SCT where is stem cells are harvested and after some strong chemo he gets these cells back or is he having an Allo SCT where he is reviving Sten Cells from a matched donor.

We will be able to talk about the process and help you navigate it ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge