Myeloma

• 7 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi,any one got any tips for aching/throbbing calves while on chemotherapy?

• I'm so sorry you're suffering, J19. I can't offer you any advice but hope you get some soon. In the meantime, as you know I am a carer for my partner .... Do you get scary moods like he does? They cRolling eyese out of the blue and are quite frightening. I try to be understanding and stay calm but that often just makes it worse Rolling eyes Do you get these sudden outbursts out of sheer frustration? I know the drugs must contribute but I wonder if it's just him? Pensive 
  • Penny 36 It sounds like your partner's has steroid rage, is he on "the dreaded dex"?  If so, it really isn't him, even some of the mildest, kindest patients get it. It's worth mentioning to the Dr to see if his dose can be altered if this is the case.

J19,  is it cramping that you get?  I had cramps, particularly in the calf. I was prescribed quinine sulphate which broke the cycle of worsening cramps, but I discontinued it as the only brand I could get contained a food colouring now banned in Europe as it damages the gut- a side effect I didn't want.  Someone recommended the supplements magnesium glycinate & taurine. These won't have been clinically trialled, but they work for me. 

Jane

• Hi Penny, I had a couple of moments of agitation 3 days after the steroids but nothing extreme and not recently. Apparently everyone reacts differently though..

• Hi Jane,not cramping more aching and stiff joints. I tried deep heat this afternoon which seemed to help..thanks 

• Thanks for your answer, Jane.  I do realise it's probably his medication but I'm walking on eggshells most of the time x

• He needs to tell his medical team. It shouldn't embarrass him, it's not something he can control, but he needs to find a solution, otherwise it's not fair on you. 

Jane

• Thank you for your wise advice, Jane. It's not an easy subject to raise but I'll certainly try xx