Harvest of Stem cells

• 8 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Just had my first harvest today and I'm absolutely exhausted + the Filgrastim injections left me in so much pain, I don't even want to think how bad is going to be when I have the transplant. 

I'm starting to get very scared, is hard to be strong all the time, but I have no choice, my husband has to take care of his dad who is suffering from dementia, we got carers but only for a few hours a day, he (husband) stays with his dad every night. 

We have two teenagers kids 16 & 14, who when I am admitted might have to be on their own quite often.

We are trying to organise a respite care home, but all is slow and I will be admitted in two weeks, while also waiting to move/complete on our new home in the next two weeks. 

I'm starting to panic about the whole thing, so I thought a good rant here will help getting it out of my chest.

Thank you for taking the time to read this nonsense. 

Take care you all

Xx 

Sonia

• Hi Sonia,

You have so much going on at the moment that my heart really goes out to you. I think you’re allowed to look after you over the next couple of weeks and try to focus on getting yourself as ready as you can for the stem cell transplant. I’m sure your kids and husband will understand if they have to look out for themselves for a few weeks, this is a necessary evil you have to get through to get yourself back to enjoying better health with them. 

Please use this space to rant away, it is what it is for, I think we’ll all been in some tough places at different times so have some understanding of what you’re going through right now. In case it helps, I wouldn’t worry too much about the SCT, at least not from a pain perspective. I definitely found the harvesting very draining and the G-CSF injections very painful, and there was nothing like that again during SCT. You might get some pain as the white blood cells bounce back after transplant, but oddly I didn’t mind that as it meant everything was working as it should. There was a little bit of sickness after the high dose chemo but to a large extent the greatest problem I had during SCT was boredom, and I really hope that that is the hardest thing for you too.

If panic is taking over, do whatever you can to focus on the present - deep breathing, focusing on the body’s sensations - taste, touch, sound, etc and keep telling yourself all of this is only temporary. Just keep ploughing on and you will get to where you want to be.

Hope this helps in some small way,

Greg

• Thank you so much Greg, it helps more than you can imagine. I will definitely try some breathing and focus exercises.

You have calmed me down enough to try and get some sleep. 

Much appreciated you took the time to reply. 

Hope you're doing well .

Thank you

Sonia

• Hello stem cells removed waiting for 9th august for start of transplant its going good at present ,stem cell little pain but think positive . good luck to my fellow myeloma patients and can anyone tell how long does the foot pain last.thanks

• Hi brew123  you’re not too far from transplant now. Well done so far!!! I am waiting on a transplant too but have no date yet. When you say foot pain? Is it pain or pins and needles and like electric shocks in your feet? I don’t have pain but pins and needles. I’ve been given Pregabalin 50mg morning and night and they have definitely helped. I wish you well going forward on the 9th and if your up to it please let us know how your getting on.  XX

• Hi thankyou for the information ,have a date for transplant etc 10th august start at nottingham city. cheers

• Hope you got through what you had to over the last little while Sonia. I click on your message a day after mobilization. I feel the same and like cement has been poured into my body and setting. Awaiting consultation and then preparing for hosptial admission for transplant. I am using my own stems

• How did you get on brew123 ? I am due to check in at nottingham city too for transplant. 

• Hi brew123 How are you doing at the moment?