Moving house

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Has anyone moved houses while having treatment? I know is a silly question but we put our house on the market before my diagnosis, and just recently had an offer on it. Will I still be able to keep the same hospital? Only moving about 10 miles from current location. 

Thank you

• Hi

Moving house, how exciting! Although I guess it's been made more difficult during the pandemic. I hope you don't mind me popping in, as I'm not a member of this group, but I do have experience of moving house whilst having treatment.

Four years ago we were in the middle of moving when I was diagnosed with melanoma. I'd had the excision biopsy but needed follow-up surgery and, to be honest, it never crossed my mind that the planned surgery might have to be done elsewhere.

I obviously changed my GP to the surgery where I moved to but I continued having treatment at the original hospital and my three monthly check-ups to. I just gave them my new address when they were checking my details at the first appointment I attended. 

I moved to a hospital nearer to where I live for my continued check-ups when my original consultant retired and I thought that as I was going to be having a new consultant I might as well have one at a more convenient hospital.

I don't know if it makes any difference with the type of treatment you might be having but for peace of mind I'd just give your CNS a call.

I hope the move goes well.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much! It helps a lot, it gives me peace of mind that I can continue treatment at the same hospital as I really don't want to change it. 

Really appreciate it your help.

Best

Sonia (Aka Vextal)

• It depends on your hospital and your specific treatment plan. Some hospitals may have multiple locations or partnerships with other hospitals, so it's worth checking with them to see if you can continue receiving treatment at a location closer to your new home. It's not a silly question, so don't worry about that. And if you do end up needing to find a new hospital, it might be worth looking into moving companies that specialize in medical moving. doortodoormover.com has experience with this and may be a good resource for you. Wishing you all the best with your move and your treatment.