Hi I’m new to this group

• 42 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I’m Judy and was diagnosed with pleural Mesothelioma in Oct  2022. It came as huge shock is an understatement. Life as I knew it came to an abrupt halt. I’d lived a very active life, climbing mountains walking the hills with my dogs, doing up to seven high intensity fitness classes a week. I am incurable but treatable. 
my treatment has been 4 three week cycles of carboplatin and pemetrexed. Then 9 cycles of just pemetrexed. Number 10 is next week. 
Today I saw my oncologist and things are stable. I’m able to talk and ask questions now. It’s taken a long time to accept this is my new normal! I’ve started to google my cancer, rightly or wrongly. And there appears to be so many different treatments.  But because I’m responding to what i’m on now and it is first line treatment I have decided to continue with it. Although it’s tough! 
I want to be around for my son’s wedding next year. And I have a loving husband and friends. I’m very up and down emotionally and mentally. I will be good to talk to people with the same cancer. I only came across this group just now!! 
it was said that I had 2 years to live at the start but I see people have passed their sell by dates here. 
Thanks for reading

Judy xx

• Hi Judy

So sorry to hear your diagnosis.  My husband was diagnosed in May this year, we were  in shock too and still are to some extent. He has been offered  immunotherapy as a first  line of treatment & his first treatment is on Wednesday, it can be given for 2 years as long as it continues to work & there are no adverse side effects so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

I hope your treatment continues to be successful.

Stay strong

Take care

• Thank you Wardyboy for replying. Yes, it takes a long time to come to terms with it. But i am now back doing my exercise class and I walk my dog at least three times a day. I have a good circle of friends who I meet for coffee and that takes my mind off things when I'm doing 'normal' things.

I hope all goes well for your husband's treatment. It's interesting that immunotherapy is first line too. My oncologist said that if I wanted to come off pemetrexed he would put me on immunotherapty as second line. I suppose although it can be tough I'm doing ok and it's working.

I'm glad I have found this group as i can learn from other's with the same cancer what their journey is like.

Judy

• I know you’ve read my profile.  It goes to show no one knows how long we have. I didn’t think i would make the first christmas let alone 16 years. Worth continuing with treatment that’s worked for you and just look forward to that wedding next year.  I’m impressed that you are back doing exercise classes!

• Hi Roni. Yes, I can't understand how i can complete my body conditioning class or pilate class with the same zeal as the others! I will just keep on going while I can. It helps me mentally too.

I'm never hungary anymore but I'm shoving healthy food down me...every day's a battle to stay on top of this horrible disease.

I'm so pleased that you have come through to your 16th year! but not without struggles, I'm sure. It's the love of and for family that spurs us on.

Judy x

• Hi roni2008 I have read your profile too & think you are inspirational managing to do everything you have done over the last 16 years.  I was just reading a post you have recently put on about breathlessness & needing oxygen (I seem to have somehow deleted it by mistake.).  I hope you got this sorted out & pleased that you have been offered further chemo if that’s what you need. Wishing you many more years with your lovely family.

We are off to hospital shortly, husband starting immunotherapy today, we are just starting on our journey he was diagnosed in May, here’s hoping he’s still here in  16 years.

Stay strong - take care

• Hi Judy,  

I was diagnosed in September 2022. Like you I had always been very active, going to the gym for classes 4 - 5 times a week. 

I was initially on immunotherapy for 3 months. That didn't seem to be working so I went on to chemo for 6 rounds. Some of the tumours have reduced which is good. I'm currently on a break from chemo, but still receive bevacziumab (targeted therapy drug) and denosumab, which is a bone strengthener, every 3 weeks. 

I've come on to this site as I still feel I haven't accepted my diagnosis. I'm very scared for the future and that seems to be consuming me at the moment. 

You sound a very positive person and I'm pleased you're doing your classes again. I do some yoga specific to cancer patients which does help and I'm walking. 

• Hi Kura

Yes, it's so hard to accept that you have an incurable cancer. My husband was a half glass full and I was a glass half empty after my diagnosis. But over time it has got better and I'm back doing more or less the normal stuff I was doing before. But dearly miss the hill walks which I can see from my house. But it is what it is and intend to play my part in being strong to face each day as it comes and not to look too far into the futre. I do feel for you and get you!

I have looked up yoga classes locally but there doesn't seem to be any. So good for you that you are doing this, it will certainly help your mental health. And walking too is good for you.

Take care and i'm here anytime you need to share stuff.

Love Judy xx

• Hi Judy, I do online zoom yoga through Triyoga who are London based, but being online you can from anywhere. Their website is: London Yoga Studios | Yoga Classes, Pilates + Treatments | triyoga and you can search for "yoga for cancer". They are free to join. 

• Thanks Kura I will look it up xx

• Hi Judy 

I was diagnosed in April of this year when they found it quite by accident, what a massive shock that was.

I went to A&E with a water infection and came out with mesothelioma!

I’ve had two cycles of immunotherapy up to now and I’m due my CT scan on the 28th of this month. I’ve got no side effects to speak of yet. 
    I’m still asymptomatic so we’re just hoping for some positive news that the treatment is working.