Hi I’m new to this group

• 42 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I’m Judy and was diagnosed with pleural Mesothelioma in Oct  2022. It came as huge shock is an understatement. Life as I knew it came to an abrupt halt. I’d lived a very active life, climbing mountains walking the hills with my dogs, doing up to seven high intensity fitness classes a week. I am incurable but treatable. 
my treatment has been 4 three week cycles of carboplatin and pemetrexed. Then 9 cycles of just pemetrexed. Number 10 is next week. 
Today I saw my oncologist and things are stable. I’m able to talk and ask questions now. It’s taken a long time to accept this is my new normal! I’ve started to google my cancer, rightly or wrongly. And there appears to be so many different treatments.  But because I’m responding to what i’m on now and it is first line treatment I have decided to continue with it. Although it’s tough! 
I want to be around for my son’s wedding next year. And I have a loving husband and friends. I’m very up and down emotionally and mentally. I will be good to talk to people with the same cancer. I only came across this group just now!! 
it was said that I had 2 years to live at the start but I see people have passed their sell by dates here. 
Thanks for reading

Judy xx

• Hi Tas

Yes. I can imagine the shock you felt! Our lives are turned upside down in an instant.

I went to the doctors with a dull ache down my left side. I was given antibiotics and sent for a scan (just as a precaution) but was told not to think or worry about it. I'm so grateful that my GP acted promptly even if the outcome was hard to take in. I was climbing the hills and doing up to 7 exercise classes up to then!

I had water on the lung and was in hospital for 3 days having it drained.

I started chemo last November. I had 4 cycles of carboplatin and pemetrexed. And up to now 6 cylcles of just pemetrexed. I'm stable but must continue with pemetrexed. I have scans every 9 weeks and meet up with my oncologist after each scan.

I have no side affects apart from fatigue when I have to force myself to rest. I'm back doing a exercise class and last Saturday went swimmimg for the first time since my diagnosis.

Hope all goes well for you when you meet up with your oncologist after the scan.

Judy x

• Hello, 

my husband has had amazing results just after 6 rounds of immunotherapy.  We now feel much more positive, life feels back to normal, no side affects at all.  We feel we can live and manage with this cancer and are hopeful for our future now.  There are also other drugs available privately should the immunotherapy ever stop working.  Research is going on behind the scenes so who knows what drug will be available in the future… try to stay positive. Xx

• That is wonderful news Anoher day. And such an encouragement to hear. So pleased that your husband can move on feeling positive...that is so important.

I have mentioned immunotherapy to my oncologist but he wants me to stay on pemerexed...have my 11th cycle tomorrow. Do you have to pay for private drugs, do you know?

Very best wishes to you both xxx

• Hi another day that is great news about your husband you must be so relieved. Can you tell me what drugs are available privately as immunotherapy did not work for my husband. Thankyou.

• My husband had pemetrexed and carboplatin which did shrink the cancer but within 3 months it grew back quite bad. My husband became so breathless I knew something was wrong.  So that is why they put him onto immunotherapy.  So on the nhs they would offer us 1 immunotherapy drug which of course we would have taken, I’m sure it would have worked. But as we have private healthcare they said we would get an additional immunotherapy drug to give him the best chance. So he is on ipilimumab & nivolulab.  A single drip of 1 every 2 weeks then on the 3rd treatment he has the 2 drugs. 

The additional drug should this stop working was bevacizumab this would work with chemo.  Then the consultant mentioned another drug should that not work but I cannot remember the name.  Maybe private there is more choice but worth finding out as you can ask if these are available on the NHS.  

hope this helps xx 

• Hi, how is your immunotherapy going ? Have you had your scan results yet ?  Immunotherapy the 2 drugs shrink my husbands cancer by around 50 per cent ….. 

• Hi

its gone very well, had my scan two weeks ago and my consultation a week ago, it has removed 6-8 cm of fluid from my right lung, and according to the consultant ithe cancer is now dormant. this is far better than what we expected to be honest.

• That sounds amazing, all. The best for the future Blush

• Wonderful news ClapClap I’m so pleased for you. 
    Judy 

• Thank you, and hope your treatment goes well.