Immunotherapy

• 29 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My dads 79 and was in relatively good health. He was over in holiday for a few weeks taking care of his older brother. When my husband and I went over at the end of August to bring him back, we noticed his breathing a bit faster. When we asked he said he'd been a bit short of breath in the last couple of weeks thought it was due to my uncle's smoking. When we came home I took him to the GP and following a chest xray was found to have fluid in the lung. We still believed it was infection and nothing else as my dad was otherwise well. But a CT showed 2 spots in the lining of his left lung which further biopsy showed a fast growing mesothelioma. My dad worked in the building trade for over 40 yrs and now this has happened. My dad was initially put forward for chemotherapy but when we met with the oncologist we had read about immunotherapy and asked if this was an option. He reviewed his results and as my dad had no other medical history they agreed they would offer it as an option. My dad decided on immunotherapy and had his first session yesterday.  He's very tired today but he's been getting increasingly tired over the last few weeks. His moods really low. My dad is such a lovely, quiet caring and thoughtful man but this disease is already changing him and i for for whats ahead. My mum died 8 yrs ago and apart from my wonderful husband who is so close to my dad, I'm on my own.  I hate what's happening to him. We're just praying the immunotherapy helps but don't know too much about it. 

• Sorry to hear about your Dad.

• Thanks Bey, appreciate that. 

• Hello, 

I do hope the immunotherapy works, that is my husbands next go to should his cancer start to grow following  his 6 rounds of chemo which did shrink the cancer. It is such a worrying time. My husband too was in construction. 

• Hi

I am in a similar situation with my dad but we're just waiting for him to start treatment but the last month he is definitely much grumpier and a bit short and very tired.  The please and thank you's have gone but I know its not him its the illness and the drugs.  

We've been told that the immunotherapy can take a few months before you notice any changes.

I hope things start to improve for you all soon x 

• My husband got his first immunotherapy on Wednesday, he has been fine no bad reaction.Treatment is every 3 weeks with blood tests day or two before and scan every 3 months.

• It is such a scary time. My dad got his first immunotherapy session last Thursday.  Thankfully no obvious side effects but he is a bit more breathless so we've arranged another chest xray for him. He had 3 litres initially in his lung and got 1.5 litres drained so my worry is it's filling up again. 

I just feel I am on constant alert and can't relax, I'm also finding it difficult to sleep. My dad wants to stay in his own house which i can understand but adds to my worry. 

I just still can't believe this is happening. Thank you for the support. Its good knowing others understand what your going through and can share experiences. 

• Hope your Dads X-ray is ok. It is unbelievable how quick this horrible disease takes hold we are the same totally devastated.

• Thank you. Got his xray results and the fluid has gathered in his lung again, so booked in again tomorrow to get it drained. I'm dreading telling him he's so..down with it all, which i can totally understand. I can't believe he was so happy in August on holiday and now he's turned into someone I hardly recognise. How are you guy's coping?

• I’m dreading the scan in jan as I have a feeling my husband may have some symptoms just starting ……. Hope we will have a good Christmas

• It’s just one day at a time really, we were the same we had walked up Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh just a few weeks before this happened it doesn’t seem real. I go from being ok one day to crying all day the next, my husband seems to be accepting it but think that might be for my benefit. We thought we had the worst happen last year when out of the blue again our 28 year old daughter was diagnosed with MS it has been horrendous.