Hubby diagnosed today

• 14 replies
  • 22 subscribers

We are in shock. Hubby had a partially collapsed lung. Treated with chest drain. Lung did not fully inflate due to there being a hole. Surgery to close the hole about a week before Christmas successful, but lots of nodules found. Just over 3 weeks in hospital, discharged Christmas Eve. 

Follow up today. Diagnosed with this cancer which they say is due to asbestos exposure. But he has no memory of being exposed. He retired in August after spending all his working life as a civil servant. He feels well, he has not been loosing weight, his appetite is normal. But we are told he has just a year or two left. That chemo, if offered, may or may not extend his life. Having experienced chemo myself and suffered the side effects, if it isn’t offering a cure is there really any point. Sorry to be pessimistic. It has been one thing after another, especially 2021. And now this. Hubby doesn’t want people to know, he needs time to process I know. I felt the same with my cancer in 2020. 

• Sorry this has happened to you and your husband. It isn’t necessarily the end if the world, please read my profile.  Unfortunately asbestos was every where.  Your husband might have been exposed jn school or his office.

• Please dont listen to how long I was diagnosed and given 3 months and that was 13 years ago. I was on chemo the Immunotherapy came in a trial in 2014 and has prolonged my life. Please rethink about Chemo. It knocks it back the Immunotherapy can be used and shrink it right down. After all if you have had chemo and it worked for you xx

• Yes, the chemo worked for me. But the cells found originally were precancerous. It was only due to finding cells in one Fallopian tube which they could not identify that I was given chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I was told it was very likely that the chemo and radiotherapy combination would cure the cancer. This feels so very different. 

we had an appointment with the oncologist yesterday. At the moment as hubby is not suffering any effects from the cancer it seems unwise to undertake chemotherapy. The doctor said that at this stage it is unlikely to really have any positive effect. He will have a scan in about 6 weeks to see if there is any change from the last scan he had. He will then have regular scans. He can decide on chemotherapy later, as long as he is fit enough. 

next step is to apply for the compensation and to apply for PIP. I thought I’d be applying for attendance allowance but he has not reached state pension age yet. We will apply under special rules so at least I do not have to fill out the whole form-with two children with disabilities I have been filling out disability forms for nearly 30 years and I really wasn’t looking forward to doing another one. Just need to find a time when I can sit on the phone waiting for them to answer so I can get a form. 

He is also getting registered as partially sighted. So there are bus, train, and blue badges to be applied for as well. I’m soooooo looking forward to it all. 

• I don't know what area you live in but it might be worth checking if you have a local asbestos support group.  I was diagnosed with it in November and the Manchester support group sorted out my blue badge, PiP benefit and Government compensation.  They also supplied me with a list of solicitors to contact about getting compensation.  Good luck to you and your husband.

• Thanks. There is a charity in the area and the hospital have referred us. They called and left a message on Friday. I'll try and get hubby to call on Monday and arrange a time they can come and help. We probably won't need to employ a solicitor as hubby did not have exposure due to work. We have the necessary form from the oncologist and I've made several copies. Just have to sit on the phone and get pip claim form. Not sure if he will qualify for a blue badge, sometimes that does depend on local authority and I know what ours is like! Due to his eyesight problem-not linked to the cancer- he can get a bus pass, and possibly a disabled train badge. It's all just overwhelming really.

• That is all really good advice.  Hopefully your husband will be awarded the higher rate of pips, this should then qualify him for the blue badge.  Even though he wasn’t exposed at work he can claim the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS) from the government.  This is what i claimed as my dad’s employer had never had public liability insurance so i couldn’t get compensation from them.  Also i was very lucky and my life assurance paid up too.  Hopefully the charity can help you with a lot of this, it will then take a lot of the pressure off of you.  Good luck.

• He should get higher /enhanced care rate but that doesn't qualify for a blue badge. It's only the higher mobility part that gives automatic entitlement. Being registered partially sighted may or may not get him a blue badge! 

• Claiming under ds1500 will hopefully give him the higher rate of mobility too.  I have both.

• That’s helpful to know. I did think I was going to have to do a bit of both on the form. But that is the form we have from the oncologist 

• You poor thing, I and in a similar position with my husband.  I wonder why doctors are so negative about this type of cancer, when so many people go on to live longer by years !  Wonder if it depends on the type of mesothelioma?