Hubby diagnosed today

• 14 replies
  • 22 subscribers

We are in shock. Hubby had a partially collapsed lung. Treated with chest drain. Lung did not fully inflate due to there being a hole. Surgery to close the hole about a week before Christmas successful, but lots of nodules found. Just over 3 weeks in hospital, discharged Christmas Eve. 

Follow up today. Diagnosed with this cancer which they say is due to asbestos exposure. But he has no memory of being exposed. He retired in August after spending all his working life as a civil servant. He feels well, he has not been loosing weight, his appetite is normal. But we are told he has just a year or two left. That chemo, if offered, may or may not extend his life. Having experienced chemo myself and suffered the side effects, if it isn’t offering a cure is there really any point. Sorry to be pessimistic. It has been one thing after another, especially 2021. And now this. Hubby doesn’t want people to know, he needs time to process I know. I felt the same with my cancer in 2020. 

• Lovely lady from the charity has been today. She will deal with all the forms. Apart that is contacting a solicitor. Which it is our choice to do. She has advised us to but hubby hasn’t made a decision yet. She will also complete the pip form over the phone and has said he will get enhanced for care and mobility. And that we can then use the mobility part to get a car if we choose. We have had mobility cars before as our eldest is entitled. He will therefore get a blue badge hopefully, although she did say it partly depends on the local authority. So at least something is moving forward. Oh and she will also complete the carers allowance form once pip is approved. I know carers is an insult but it will help us out long term as I can put it to one side for the future. 

• Hello, I just wondered how your husband is doing as he was diagnosed the same time as my husband …..

• Hi. He's not too bad. We decided to get another rescue dog and he has helped both of us get out more. How are you doing?

• We are keeping really busy socially and booking lots of trips.  I’m a little anxious as after next week the 6 cycles of chemo, then it is watch and wait …. The unknown can be a little daunting.  I’m sure it will be immunotherapy down the line.  My husband is doing great though, no symptoms.