Pleural mesothelioma

• 19 replies
  • 17 subscribers

My 75 year old dad was diagnosed in July last year had 10 rounds  of immunotherapy after the 10th he’s become really unwell- all started with low sodium now that’s regulated he’s still so unwell so so tired and loss appetite it’s been 3 weeks now he’s also got bad back pain . So worried this is the beginning of the end .

Can anyone share their experiences good or bad.

Thanks 

x

• I am sorry to hear about your dad, I lost my husband to mesothelioma last month after being diagnosed last April. He had chemo and immunotherapy but sadly nothing worked for him. He did however have steroids in-between treatment which really worked well to give him some energy and his appetite back. Worth speaking to your palliative care nurse about it. 

Sending lots of love and strength to you all. xx 

• Thanks you so much for your reply. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I just don’t know what to expect at the end with my dad. My mum died of lung cancer on Boxing Day and that was awful to watch. My dad has deteriorated so quickly over the last 3 weeks he did eat like a horse but now he doesn’t what anything he is skin and bone . Worried this is end .

x

• Hi. 

I am so sorry to hear about your dad and his diagnosed. My dad was diagnosed in December 2021. My dad has had 6 rounds of chemotherapy and at the moment has had a rest from the chemotherapy. My dad was not well enough to have immunotherapy, so had to have chemotherapy, however, I have heard immunotherapy is a stronger treatment that works well. Try and stay strong, as when my dad first had chemotherapy I could tell he was really suffering, however, he said he wasn’t, but you can just tell he was. From what I saw with my dad, his treatment made him feel awful and he also lost his appetite and a lost a lot more of weight. The treatment from what I saw with my dad made him feel worst each time, but I believe it will make you feel worst before better, so try and stay strong, as it really can help. It’s worrying I know, but I believe it will definitely help your dad. 

I wish your dad all the best of luck. I know how hard this is, i was devastated when I first found out about my dad. Xxx

• Thank you, my dad is now on steroids and they have said he cannot have anymore immunotherapy as he had a really bad reaction on the 10th round - he’s still in hospital only a matter of time now feeling very anxious 

• Hi Rai,

so sorry to hear about your husband, can’t imagine how you must feel. 

my husband has just finished his 4 th does of immunotherapy. Chemo did shrink the cancer prior to this but unfortunately it really grew after chemo in the space of 2 months ! We were devastated.  When did your husband realise the immunotherapy was not working ?  Was there no other treatment? 

just so sad x 

• He had immunotherapy for a few months but sadly for him nothing seemed to work and he changed quite quicky but everyone is different and for lots of people it does help so I will keep everything crossed for your husband that this works and gives you both more time.
    Sending my love and prayers to you both xx

• I'm so sorry to hear this, it's such an awful illness but praying he gets the right care and support. My husband was in the local hospice for a few weeks at the end and they were simply amazing so I am very grateful for that. Sending lots of love and strength to you all xx 

• My dad was diagnosed last September. He had 4 months of immunotherapy but  with no effect.  Since January he was stable for a few months with steroids but has deteriorated greatly in the last couple of months. I am a nurse, so I went off sick to care for him. I am on only child and have no other family locally. My husband went off work a month ago and the two of us are taking care of him. We got help from the district nurses to get a bed downstairs. We got his pain regime sorted with slow release morphine and Oromorph in-between if needed for pain, which is keeping him comfortable and settled. For the last 3 weeks we had carer's coming in 4 times a day to carry out his needs but we had usually already helped him before they came. My dad is now in his final days, he sleeps most of the time and is only managing some water if I syringe it in. He's at home, comfortable and settled and I'm so grateful to be able to care for him and have this time together even though it's hard to watch, especially as he is now just skin and bone. This is such a horrible disease, hopefully they will have some breakthroughs soon...this time last year, my dad and I were climbing hills on holiday, planning his 80th birthday celebrations for this September... how life changes. It is a horrible time for anyone to go through but remember your not alone, ask for help. The district nurses coming ordinated everything for us and they are available on the phone 24 hours. 

• I really feel your pain and I send you a big hug. My dad had 8 goes of immunotherapy but he’s now had a really bad reaction to it, he was in hospital for 2 weeks now he’s diabetic and on steroids they have said no more immunotherapy as he was so ill, the oncologist said it’s been a year now since diagnosis and the expectancy is 12-18 months so I’m getting prepared it’s feels so unbelievable as he has no breathing problems ( he did at the beginning but had a procedure which seems to be working)  but I wonder if one day he’s just going to say I can’t breath- that is my worst nightmare. Is your dad’s breathing really bad and where is the pain? My dad has lost so much weight it is all so terrible to watch it is breaking my heart. Stay strong .

xxx