Asbestos

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi we have had dads postmortem results and its says that dad died of High grade B cell lymphoma ,  Parkinson's and dementia.

On the left lung  sections show lung with congestion and oedema. No fibrosis noted. One asbestos body is identified.  

Right lung was the tumour ect.

They say dads death was caused by B cell lymphoma  parkinsons and dementia.

We have applied for the claim for exposure on the advice by hospital consultant and the Macmillan nurse. But because dad didnt actually die from asbestos related  disease,as no evidence of asbestos exposure,  am I correct that the claim wont go ahead.?

I understand if I shouldnt be asking for advice and if this is not allowed please delete. But we were lead to believe that dad had asbestos in him but wasent well enough to have the test, and died with in 6 weeks of the cancer diagnosis.

My question is, cam you get compensation if the person had asbestos but it was lung cancer and did not die from asbestos even though it was in the lung ? Hope this makes sence .

Many thanks 

• Hi  I don't normally post in this group but I have lived with my type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma for over 23 years. Following a regular CT for my NHL I found out that I had Pleural Thickening and Pleural Plaque (Asbestosis) in my Right Lung back in 2021. It is stable and I most likely will die with it, not because of it.

I was advised by my Respiratory Consultant to put a claim in and I eventually received some 'small' compensation...... it took some time.

So in simple the answer is yes...... but as your dad has passed away there may be challenges in collecting all the information required for a solicitor to action the claim against your dad's former employers insurance companies - all the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, 

Thanks for your reply I'm grateful you took the time read my post,  I'm very sorry to hear what you are going through, and wish your journey to be as pain free as possible

Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer on the 15 august, it was stage 4 and no treatment as it was terminal, he was given months to live, the dr was very unsympathetic,  and his diagnosis was such a shock as he showed no symptoms of lung cancer , he had sepsis in july and he nearly died . While in hospital when he had the chest xray. 

Basically, the consultant told dad he wasent well enough for any treatment, the cancer had spread, and she asked if dad had been exposed to asbestos,   dad had been exposed with his previous jobs of in the army and swimming pool ect, 

The diagnosis was out of the blue, he was sent for a ct scan, and another chest xray on the day, and it was confirmed it was terminal.  She told us to apply for a compensation payment for Methiosloma,  she gave us the details, and told us that although dad wasn't well enough for biopsy, she was almost certain dad had the asbestos in his lungs,  they were very convincing..  we went home and got the ball rolling with the application,  that week we had numerous people contacting dad , and also had them co,e to the house ect..  the claim went ahead, and then we had a call 3 weeks later to say that the claim was not going ahead as the dr hadn't put on the form that dad had Methiosloma..

I contacted the dr who was very defensive and asked why she hadn't put it on the form amd she denied talking to us and said she did not say dad had Methiosloma,  amd that we shouldnt have been given all the information on Methiosloma,  should have just been lung cancer. Now I caught her out as unknown to her we had recorded the conversation om the phone as dad was deaf and we wanted to replay what she said when we got home. 

I told her I had recorded the conversation and her attitude changed, in the end we did have a apology off her, we left it at that.

6 weeks later dad passed away suddenly,   we dont know if dads claim is going ahead, we are waiting for the veterans drs to look into it.  It said dad didnt die from asbestos cancer,  but I think it looks like he has asbestos in the other lung..but it didnt kill him..

I've looked and looked for any answers on the internet but cant find a thing,  any way enough about me .

Take care sue x

• The fact that your dad was in the services then there us a clear way to move this forward through the veteran services.

Having any asbestosis in the lungs is seen as having asbestosis and this can be made into a claim but the process is not that straightforward.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge