Mesothelioma advise

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi just looking for some advise. My dads been diagnosed with mesothelioma back in April. He refused treatment at first but now has changed his mind and is looking to get treatment. He still gets his monthly check ups as well. He has up until recently been fine, working getting about, 70 years old and still working! Lately it has really taken its toll on him he isn't keeping anything down and is being sick a lot. He's a proud man and isn't telling me when he's constipated but I've done what I can to make sure he has what he needs. 

In the past week or 2 he's been feeling really sick but nothing coming up and it's been waking him in the night and finding him huddled over the toilet at 3am.
Is there anything I should be pushing for with the doctors is there anything else I can do or get him that would help? He's on roughly 60mg morphine and he is fine in terms of pain but it's the sickness that he is struggling with. He was taking steroids but they were dropped 2 weeks ago which is when his appetite dropped. 
I really feel like no one is offering support to him and every time go to the doctors it's just a case of ok see you next month. I feel like they are just leaving him, even though they are so good and helpful, we're just in and out. There's no groups or support for this. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, 

My thought are with you all, big hugs.

This rang such a bell with me I just had to reply.  The experience I had with my dad, resulted in him being on antiemetic's (anti sickness drugs) constantly.  Also from time to time he would also have an injection as he was unable to keep the antiemetic down long enough for it to work and also effected the ability to to keep the morphine down.

When my dad was first given the antiemetic, he was told take when you feel sick, for him that was too late.  So in the end he was taking a base dose of the drug every day and then when he felt sick we had an additional one to take.  Please speak with his doctor or nurse and see what they will give him, there are a few different ones, and my dad had to keep having his changed just so they were effective.

For my dad, he  did get weekly visits from the community nurses who were very supportive and kept a good eye on his health.  If your dad isn't getting any visits, speak with his doctor, I did find them so helpful.  If not perhaps, contact his consultant at the hospital and ask for an appointment.

Good luck, big hugs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Do ask about different anti emitics, my dad went from throwing up all the time to being just a bit nauseous (helped by eating!) and a bit tired, after he was given a different and apparently very expensive drug. 

• My husband diagnosed in Jan, over time man med were added around 20.  He was bile sick some nights and always insisted it was roo many med.   Hindsight we should have stopped different ones to see which one.  Eventually med were reduced to just concentrate on mesothelomia.  Meds reduced to 5 steroids added which have been amazing for alert, appetite.  Also mood anti depressant which has also been amazing,  sickness stopped.  He takes morphine liquid if really needed for cough.  Hope this helps.