What questions should we ask when we receive diagnosis?

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

My husband had VATS procedure on 3 November where biopsies were taken. He also had the talc treatment which seems to have stopped the fluid buildup.  We are meeting with the consultant tomorrow for results, although they indicated very strongly that they think it is pleural mesothelioma and mentioned immunotherapy as next steps if confirmed.

I am dreading the meeting tomorrow, and want to try and prepare by having a list of good questions to ask about what stage we’re at, prognosis, possible treatments, options etc etc as I know my head is likely to be all over the place….

Whilst I am keen to know exactly what we’re dealing with, feeling that ‘knowledge is power’, my husband has ‘retreated to his shed’, metaphorically speaking. From speaking to others, it appears this is not an unusual reaction, but it makes it hard for me to know how best to support him.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Julia

• Hi Julie and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear what is happening for you and your husband . Its not an easy journey for either of you but it does seem, from what you are saying  that whilst you are keen for information, and understandably so, maybe he isn't ready and not wanting to hear any of this info and he would not be alone in that if that makes sense. Can you have a chat with him re this and maybe be see what his thoughts are as it may make it clearer for you as to how to get this information, which may mean going back to see the Consultant without your husband if that makes sense. He may not want to know or it may be that he wants little bits of information over a  longer period of time.

Please do come back and let us know how you get on as we will be thimking of you both.

gail

Community Champion Badge