Pleural mesothelioma abdominal ascites

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi, my dad was diagnosed on 1 December. He had his lungs drained and then talc inserted and a permanent drain in January which resolved the breathlessness and tiredness. He started immunotherapy (ipi/nivo) in February and had 2.5 rounds before being admitted to hospital for almost a month with severe annd apparently unusual side effects. Immunotherapy has been stopped. Cancer has spread to his abdomen and as of 2 July he now has ascites and does not want to have to be readmitted to hospital which he calls the hellhole to have it drained. He is preparing to die and wants the discomfort and pain to be over. I am devastated and have told him he must so what he wants but also want him to at least try a drain and see if it helps relieve the pain and he can live a bit longer. Anyone in a similar boat? 

• Hi  I am so sorry to read about your dad and the challenges you are all facing.

Although I do have Asbestosis my main cancer is an incredible blood cancer so I don’t have first hand experience of what your dad and the family are dealing with.

Lets see if any group member picks up on your post but you may also want to join and post in our general Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Dad23

It is quite some time since I posted on here but your post sounded similar to our experience. My husband was diagnosed with “non small cell lung cancer” in 2021 which was due to asbestos exposure (12 years employed by Turner and Newall. He had 8 cycles of combined chemotherapy and immunotherapy but in May 2022 the cancer had spread to the omentum and peritoneal linings of his abdomen and he was told further treatment would be of no benefit. He had ascites and then sadly passed away in September 2022. His last few weeks were reasonably good thanks to the wonderful Macmillan nurses who carefully monitored and tweaked his medication to keep him as comfortable as possible. It’s hard to accept but if your dad does not want anymore treatment then I would say get him referred for a Macmillan nurse and ensure he is comfortable for the rest of his time with you. 
    After my husband passed away a post mortem confirmed that the cause of death was actually mesothelioma. 

• I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Husband. I lost my Mum to Peritoneal Mesothelioma in July 2022. I am currently waiting for a biospy as fluid has been found around my lungs. One thing that you may not be aware of.....with a diagnosis of Mesothelioma in the UK comes  a compensation payment from the Govt. There is a scale online. I was just thinking that had your husband been correctly diagnosed he would have got some compensation. I know money isnt everything, and it cant change things but...I dont know how old your husband was and if you have children but it may be you could claim , as his wife, what he is entitled to. There is also a payment for dependents if they are under 18.

• Hi Medici

Sorry I've only just seen your reply as I haven't been on the community for a while. Thanks for your advice, we have had amazing support from our local asbestos victim support group right from diagnosis. And although his claim sadly wasn't settled before passed away I was able to "take over" as his widow and finally in the next few weeks the claim he started should be resolved. Like you say money isn't everything but it was his desperate wish that I be financially secure after his death. My advice to anyone facing a cancer diagnosis which could be related to asbestos exposure is to contact the Asbestos Victim Support charity because they are so helpul, especially with claiming for Industrial Disease benefits.

Grasan