Side effects

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi, I did put something in “new here” but this is probably better place as it’s about treatment.

Hubby started immunotherapy 13th April, and had his second cycle yesterday. A few days after first cycle he got a very sore mouth full of ulcers. We spoke to emergency triage twice, second time being sent to a&e as his lips and tongue were slightly swollen. With their suggestions his mouth seemed to be getting better but the ulcers and sore throat returned before second treatment . He did see an oncologist and the decision was to continue. But now he has more ulcers and is struggling to drink enough. I got him to speak to triage again and the doctor has prescribed something similar to bonjela, the mouthwash the doctor wanted to prescribe wasn’t available so this is the next best thing.

It seems that this is not a side effect they are used to seeing and they are concerned that the treatment is causing a problem not seen before. He is in constant agony. Doesn’t want to eat as it hurts, doesn’t want to drink for same reason plus everything tastes different. He has only managed one and a half mugs of tea so far today, and that’s with me nagging!

Anyone else had this side effect and if so did anything help.

• hello Nina60

I am sorry to see that your husband is having problems with his eating and drinking due to his immunotherapy. It is good that he has spoken with his doctors regarding this. It must be so uncomfortable for him.

I had a similar problem when on chemotherapy for my cancer. My mouth became very sore, mouth ulcers. Everything tasted strange and it really did put me off food. It was painful to swallow- a bit like when you have tonsilittis coming.  I was prescribed a mouthwash which did help a bit. I also tried some Complan drinks (with the hospitals blessing). I found cooler drinks better than hot ones. Has he tried ice lollies, perhaps?  I found they helped but not the citrus ones as anything acidic was not good. I also asked the hospital about throat lozenges- the ones with a bit of local anaesthetic that you can buy over the counter for sore throats. I was told they wouldn't do any harm so was ok to try. Maybe it might be worth asking about them and if they may be of help to your husband. 

I will also pop a link here that might be of help. It has some ideas that may help. 

MAC 13613 Eating problems and cancer (macmillan.org.uk)

I hope this helps a bit

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello, 

my husband has just had his first round of immunotherapy. He seems ok just no appetite. He is eating though little and often. Drinking ok.  His breathing does sound different at nighttime though when he is laid down ?