Immunotherapy?

• 6 replies
  • 11 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed almost exactly a year ago. He was offered chemotherapy but at that time he was relatively well. He has had scans every 3 months which showed no change until the last one in November. Today we were told there is a small change and he has now been offered immunotherapy - which was not available in this area until recently, unless you had already had chemotherapy.

He feels ok. He has looked through the details of one of the drugs  the doctor has given him, but decided to leave the other set for another day. 

He has diabetes as well and that has resulted in him now being partially sighted and with very painful knees. But he is able to walk our dog for about an hour without getting breathless. He walks slowly but that's due to his knees.

We need more information but as he doesn't really access anything online I'm wondering where is best for him to go? He's not good at asking for help. 

And he has no idea what to do.

• Hi, it sounds like we are in a similar position. My husband was diagnosed a year ago, had 6 rounds of chemotherapy which shrunk the cancer well.  He’s just had his 3 month xray follow up, doctor says leave for another 3 months as he’s happy with how things are.  The unknown is scary, not knowing if it will start growing.  Immunotherapy is our next step when needed, I know not everyone can tolerate it but it sounds like your husband is.  Simon Bolton the mesothelioma nurse has a wealth of experience and may be able to answer questions you have, he also offers a support group. 

• Who is Simon Bolton. What area is he in please

• My dad was diagnosed in September with mesothelioma. He was given the choice of immunotherapy or chemotherapy. He chose the immunotherapy. He gets 2 infusions ( lasting 2 hours) one week and one infusion ( lasting 1 hour) the next time with 3 weeks betweentreatments. The infusions last 30 minutes but they have to put a 30 minute normal saline flush after each infusion.  He gets his bloods done 2 days before the infusion and its been really straightforward. My dads 79 and was otherwise well before this diagnosis. He's  coped reasonably well with it, he has a bit of an itch and gets loose stools overnight after the treatment but we've been told this is not always a bad thing as it shows the treatment is causing an effect. We're hear sitting at the moment for his 12 week scan after this we'll know if its helped slow the cancer or if its not made any difference. 

• ive got my third. Infusion of immunotherapy next week so it’s difficult for anybody to determine what’s actually happening but my pleural d drain seems to hava reduced to a trickle so they are thinking of re-siting it of re-siting it as there is till a lot of fluid in the lung. Hopefully a re-siting might get rid of most of I it, albeit temporarily

• Simon Bolton is based in Yorkshire Harrogate, he runs a mesothelioma help group. He is based in Harrogate I think but if you google Simon I’m sure his contact details will be on line ….

• Hello, immunotherapy maybe my husbands next go to for treatment. Chemotherapy did shrink the cancer and he is being scanned every 3 months.  When were you diagnosed? My husband was diagnosed last January having fluid on his lung. It was drained and fortunately did not come back. So we are watching and waiting.